Rendering garden wall

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlacheson

I've got a job to render a front garden wall, the piers are of brickwork and the wall is of concrete blocks.
Can anyone advise me what ratio of sand and cement to use for the scratch and top coat and whether lime is necessary. Also, what preparation should I do? I've been told not to use PVA externally.

A 4:1 scratch coat, with a 5:1 top coat is good enough, just dampen up the area to be rendered. Use a good quality water proofing plasterciser in your scratch coat, you can use lime in the top coat but the waterproofing plasterciser will be sufficient.

dlacheson said:
I've got a job to render a front garden wall, the piers are of brickwork and the wall is of concrete blocks.
Can anyone advise me what ratio of sand and cement to use for the scratch and top coat and whether lime is necessary. Also, what preparation should I do? I've been told not to use PVA externall

I WOULD GIVE BLOCKS A SOAKING WITH WATER NO NEED FOR PVA -1ST COAT 4 SAND - 1 CEMENT -AND WATERPROOFER I ALSO ADD A SMALL TROWEL FULL OF LIME .TOP COAT 5 SAND 1 CEMENT 1 LIME NO WATERPROOFER IN TOP COAT ...ALSO AT THIS TIME OF YEAR KEEP AN EYE ON WEATHER AS YOU MAY NEED TO ADD SOME WINTER MIX BUT ITS NOT REALLY COLD ENOUGH FOR THAT YET .

wouldn't bother damping concrete blocks, thermolite or celcon yes, concrete no.

you should rake the brick course back 10mm unless there engeneering brick you'd need a slurry coat etc for a key .......go straight over the blocks mate

Pug said:
wouldn't bother damping concrete blocks, thermolite or celcon yes, concrete no

in winter time maybe in summer we always dampen our blocks ,suction control and all that .. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.