Rendering curved plinth at foot of house

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freerider

Alright guys, just been to look at a rendering job, front of a house and the plint needs re-doing too.

Without pictures its bit hard to explain but simply the front windows step out in a curve, meaning the plinth obvioiusly follows this.

No problem rendering a curve as thats simple enough, but as only the top half of the house is rendered it means the plinth line has to be neat as above it is brickwork (if that makes sense)

Normally I would batton along at plinth height, scratch, then top as normal.

However have never had to have a neat line from removal of the batton so would normally add a sleight shamfer to the top of the plint (still following?).. in this case I cant as it has to be a sharp angle, but when removing the batton its very rarely left a perfectly neat line.. (mortar squeezes up behind it in places as the brick work isnt perfectly flat)..

So what is your advice both on getting a perfect plinth but also rendering one round a curve?

Would it be ideal screwing a few layers of thin ply (or something similar) round the curve and rendering off of that?

Cheers guys, hope you understand what Im getting at! ;)

That wouldnt look right as its not being painted (the rest of the house is but the plinth is a rendered finish)

how about painting some oil along the bottom edge where you dont want muck to stick? shouldnt stick then and the batten should work better... might have to mask it off with gaffer tape and oil below it, then plonk your thin ply layers over the oil and remove the gaffer tape?

Thats an idea chris cheers, I guess its one of those "there is no correct way of doing it, just do what works best!"

just put plenty release agent on timber batten that should get you a straight edge, as for the bricks not being uniform pack any hollows in your batten with paper once released if there are and drips at the back just cut of and tidy up with a small trowel

Status
Not open for further replies.