Rendering a painted surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

shauny24

Hi all jus been to look at a job with a painted surface what would be best to use to give the wall a good key coat, render grit or slurry coat thanks

Paint is unpredictable, doesn't matter how good a key coat you get on there it's only as strong as the bond between the paint and the wall.

Pin mesh/eml to it.

Sparrow pick and scud. If you want bombproof and client willing to come through, metal lath is hard beat.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

How exactly does parinter guarantee the bond strength of the paint to the substrate?

It might stick like s**t to the paint but that's not going to stop the paint delaminating from the house.

How exactly does parinter guarantee the bond strength of the paint to the substrate?

It might stick like s**t to the paint but that's not going to stop the paint delaminating from the house.
Cos if you do all the preliminary tests first you will either use it or you won't.

If you get get the render off then this is what I would do
Like many jobs if it's rock hard with decent painted that's stuck line s**t then parex Parinter (3-4mm) with mesh then 1.5mm bucket coat
Done loads of it

I've two chimneys to do on a house I'm gonna be renovating in a similar situation, old paint on them.
Render is too hard to knock of without destroying the chimney structure.
I'm putting a new capping on, and was thinking would rendaid or hp12 be ok to put directly on it with mesh and then pinned???
I can also finish with what I like, but would like something really water repellant as much as possible.
Would like the render experts opinions and thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The options are metal lath over it, mesh and pin it or use parinter.

Or if you don't have your name on your van or give a s**t just go over it with cement.

All depends how much you need the job and the worry that goes with the risk your taking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How big an area is it? I'm sticking with removing the paint. Scutch hammer, needle gun or sand blast it. I'm dinosaur though... :)

Read through thread man, grit or scud alone requires the paint to hold two coats of plaster in place, not best practice but you never know could last years then again might blow next week.you're only as sound as your key to the substrate.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

Just let him do what he wants. All the advise is there for him

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.