Render question on a solid brick 1930's house

Members online

SFneedshelp

Hi,
I'm looking for some advice please as we are not plasters and want to make sure we look after our house. We live in a 1930's 'mock tudor' style house. The house has been extended (which is cavity wall) but the original part of the house is solid brick.

We would like to renew the render on the front of the house which has wood boards nailed through to the brick to give the mock tudor effect.

The render isn't too bad, there are a couple of cracks but it isn't falling apart or flaking, but having recently moved in we want to make sure it isn't crumbling in a place we can't see. I have taken a small piece of the render off and dipped it in white vinegar, part of the lump fizzed and the rest of the lump is hard so I am assuming the render used was a mix of lime and cement. The render is in between the planks of wood. The inside walls are lime plaster on solid bricks.

My questions are:

Should I patch the cracks with a mix of lime/cement/sand render & if so what ratio?
Should I remove all planks and remove all old render then re-render the whole area, and once it's been re-rendered re-fix the planks of wood on top of the render after sanding & staining them?
If I re-render the whole area should it be just lime/sand or with some cement in the mix as well?
Finally what ratios should I use?

Many thanks:)

threads get pushed down when we get busy so this should bump it to the top again :D

(not too late I hope)