Render of pine-end of old terraced house wall made of stone and old motar

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MALCOLM

Hi I'm new to the forum, could anyone advise what are the best PAREX or WEBER products to use on the exterior pine end wall of my old terraced house (south wales)
Currently there is a sand cement render which is cracked and has allowed damp and water to ruin the inside of some of the walls. I am planning to take all of the old render off. The wall i think will be constructed of stone, brick and the old motar.
Should i be using lime type renders ? I have read that the render should allow the wall to breath but the new type systems also do this ? Any advise would be appreciated.

I may be a little old fashioned....

Whats wrong with going back with sand and cement??

We recently did a similar job when the render had blown and destroyed the internal walls plaster but now its all dried out and looking good.

I have zero experience with any other type of render so probably get a better answer off some one else :)

why not mate? something happened? its been something ive been trying to avoid meself...

not had a problem with the 25% rule, i only think you might have a problem with it if you had a whole house render removed and the local planning were involved. The reason I would use Mono danny is the time scale, with sand and cement you would have to scratch , leave for 2-3 weeks, then top, leave 2-3 weeks and paint. By using a prerend like highbond, mesh inbedded and then top with mono which would only be about a 1 1/2 weeks start to finish. plus like Paul said, the renders are breathable. no brainer in my book

If its stone Malcom then do a bit of research into External wall insulation. In short you are covering the area with insulation boards and using a special render to finish in any style you want. Depending how bad the existing render is you may get away with no hacking off and you can also claim a grant for part of the work.

You will benefit by decreasing your heating bills because the walls are insulated. might be a good time to do the rest of the house

pvc cladding on a massive scale is always an elegant solution don't forget butt......people go wild for down iuh like mun

not had a problem with the 25% rule, i only think you might have a problem with it if you had a whole house render removed and the local planning were involved. The reason I would use Mono danny is the time scale, with sand and cement you would have to scratch , leave for 2-3 weeks, then top, leave 2-3 weeks and paint. By using a prerend like highbond, mesh inbedded and then top with mono which would only be about a 1 1/2 weeks start to finish. plus like Paul said, the renders are breathable. no brainer in my book

according to the regs, a gable end is classed as an individual element and as such is subject to a 50% rule... notifiable job
provided you knock it off first....

the point is the 25% rule applies to whole house, one gable makes it the 50% rule
removal of the entire gable plaster requires building control notification and as such must achieve 0.3wm2k whatever is put back over the entire wall exceptions being listed buildings etc...
just hacking it off and rerendering without insulating the gable may well leave the customer in a position where building control issue him with a compliance notice to hack it off and do it again...
or just insulate the internals, whatever... thats what the regs say, go have a look...

building control - otherwise known as 'The Borg' - resistance is futile, you WILL comply... :RpS_laugh:

but all you do chris is when you have them sign the terms it will state in there all about its the customers responabilty to obtain all building consents for anywork carried out.

yeh fair enough, its customers choice what they do, even if they dont sign any terms, law states theyre liable anyway...

all im saying is, as plastering professionals, i think we have a moral duty to at least inform the customer of any building regulations that may affect them...

I think there is actually some obscure LAW that states (and this comes from the glazing industry) that as a glazing professional, you are duty bound to inform customers of safety glass regulations...

besides, in your best interest, EIFS is easier than solid plastering....

just give em the choice, its their funeral if they get nailed off the borg....

Status
Not open for further replies.