render not setting

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty34

Bonjour everyone , gotta bit of a problem so thought I ask a few old heads some advice lol:RpS_biggrin: I'm doing a bit of internal rendering , going over someone else's work ( i know cardinal sin ) but he's a m8 so couldn't leave him hanging . Basically some odd jober whacked a scratch coat on a stairwell wall, now I gotta dub this wall out a fair bit , and I mean a fair bit , to get it anywhere near flat ,I chucked on 2 coats yesterday (quite thick to b honest) 4-1 mix with freeflo ad mix , came back I next day and the render ain't set , its still a bit soft , not wet but not gone off I u know wat I mean , I can push my finger in and I leaves a dent . Now its quite cold in the house because its a shell , and the sand was a bit wet from the poxy weather . Now have all these factors just caused a really slow setting time its still the same now , its BN over 24 hours or should I start panicking lol

Something definitely wrong, you and the mate should go on a course ,that said "simon cowell" voice, definitely not 4/1 sand Nd cement

Wat time did u have it on by ? Cold building isnt going to help , plus if its been damp and its just a shell ? Its not like skimming that goes solid in 2 hours, give it another day or so , spesh how u said it was a thick coat . Dont panic about it atm

It was on by half 2 m8, I think with retarder in the freeflo plus wet sand and it being quite cold in The house have all held it back a bit , but have never come across it before , and John you've lost me altogether m8 lol

you should of ask for advice before you started , but hey looked easy enough :rolleyes)

if i was going to dub out that wall i would have used hardwall, a lightweight plaster, not sand and cement!

It must be hardening up otherwise you wouldn't be able to of spread it in the first place if you know what I mean

That's wat is going on next m8 lol that's how much it needs to b dubbed out . The guy who's work I'm correcting only came half way down the stairwell wall to the stairs , now the old stairs bn taken away ready for the new ones to go in i got half the wall back to bear brick and the top half of the wall got about 5 inches of s&c on it !! :RpS_cursing: So there's 3 coats of s&c on my half of the wall and the rest will b in lightweight internal ( hardwall or carlite ) , just hope my m8 takes my advice and when he moves in keeps hard hat on at all times , especially walking up those stairs lol

It is hardening up m8 , its just me fretting lol but I'm on my 3rd beer now so I'm unwinding and realising it'll b just fine lol:RpS_thumbsup:

with what you said it will hang being freeflo and no circulation of air. It will set eventually. Now you have used waterproofer try in further coats to use just a plasticiser and weaken the mix to 6:1. It will give you suction as with freeflo you will be limited to how thick you can apply before it slides.

with what you said it will hang being freeflo and no circulation of air. It will set eventually. Now you have used waterproofer try in further coats to use just a plasticiser and weaken the mix to 6:1. It will give you suction as with freeflo you will be limited to how thick you can apply before it slides.
Plasticiser still kills suction , you need lime in the mix to create suction

5 inches is some coat he would of been better getting a stud wall built then board it gd luck getting the rest of the s&c on lol

6:1:1 then 8:1:1 both with Feb you should get ( green suction) and with the lime and cement 50:50 the mix should be lighter ( weight) So you will get more on

Could still dab on the render if it needs built out alot still , strips as packers dab them on first then the board . If its really far 2 packers and stick them and let the gear go off then dab the board

Thanks for the input men . Well some of u ( people like church the keyboard warrior can get f***ed ) . All sorted now , ill hardwall the rest Monday and job done .now I'm off out for a beer or 10 have a GD day men

Thanks for the input men . Well some of u ( people like church the keyboard warrior can get f***ed ) . All sorted now , ill hardwall the rest Monday and job done .now I'm off out for a beer or 10 have a GD day men[/QUOT

lol , bet it cracks :RpS_thumbsup:

Thanks for the input men . Well some of u ( people like church the keyboard warrior can get f***ed ) . All sorted now , ill hardwall the rest Monday and job done .now I'm off out for a beer or 10 have a GD day men

Think the shandy's have kicked in now. . . Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.