render and plaster blown on old stone walls

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basset

I have just had some work passed my way and have never done anything on old stone before so am looking forward to it, but also have many questions as don’t want to mess it up. it’s an old stone house very uneven walls. The owner of the house has stripped the wall paper, the plaster and internal render sounds like it has blown and there are some cracks aswell. Was wondering if you guys wouldn’t mind giving me abit of advice on how to sort this. This is what I was thinking:
1, Remove blown render (could end up to be most it)

2, then damp down walls (would you sbr slurry it/waterproof it?bit confused on the waterproof front as was always told never to use it internally.)

3, re render may need 2 scratch coats of sand and cement as uneven stone, ratio 4:1, would you use sand and cement?

4, top it 5:1 then devil float it

5, skim with multi?

Any advice would be great!!!

If its an old building with stone walls then the original render may well of been a lime mortar. If you render it with sand & cement you may have problems with damp later on.

use tarmacs limelight and skim it mate no need to even wet it down really give it a really light spray and see what its like

yeah i was thinking about the damp and wondered about that limelight. Is it easy to use?i was also thinking of giving the guy the option of insulation and then boarding, would it be easy to put batten up on old uneven stonework then would you use celotex?
I have a feeling cost maybe a massive factor with him and he kept talking about using mesh and also saying that if any cracks apear he will be after me, reckon he could be a right pain in the ass!!!

sbr slurry the walls scratch on a coat of s/c dab over with a thermaline board then skim ive done this in the past an had no problems

cheers guys, i know two of the walls will def have to been done like that, however the other two walls i think the render maybe ok i think its just the plaster, so i was going to remove blown plaster and then that would be fine to dot and dab on yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.