Removing cement pointing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captaincaveman

Hello peeps,

I am doing a lime plastering job at the moment but there are damp problems caused by cement pointing on the outside of the stone walls.
I was going to remove it by hand but is there an easier and quicker power tool that can be recommended? I haven't used air tools before but would they be good for someone like me?

Cheers

Mark

You have to be carefull with grinders as you can damage the bricks also dust can be a problem with the neighbours there are machines with dust extractors but difficult to use as vision is restricted, Screw fix sell an attachment for a mini grinder which works on some pointing it all depends on the brick and the pointing what method I use but if it comes out by hand without damaging the brick that is the preferred method.

I have raked out 100's m2 of brick joints with a diamond tipped angle grinder. I usually use a 5mm wheel and then that gives me room to manoeuvre. Use a good pair of goggles so you can see what you are doing.

You can get a dust extractor hooked up to a vacuum cleaner and they tend to take 90% of the dust away. For 1 job though I would hire the kit.

If you are lime plastering are you going to re-point in lime?

Righty ho. Thanks for the suggestions but I did say I was raking out stonework, not brick so I think a grinder in whatever form will not be accurate enough without damaging the stone.
I had a chat with my lime supplier and he recommended this!
Arbortech AS170 Allsaw Brick and Mortar Saw 240V (AS-170)
I'm not buying it of course, just look at the price!!:RpS_scared:

My local hire company will do it for £40+VAT per day. Bargain I think and totally suited to the job. I'll let you know how I get on chaps.

Yep let us know, ive used the bigger version for cutting brickwork out and it realy weren't man enough but the little jobby for raking could be good, dust is always the prob with me and these don't make much.

You dont say what condition the pointing is wether its very hard,or not to bad .
A small compresser with an airchisel is ok when its not to hard ,Its easy to work with,ok in rain as long as compressers covered. I did 220m2 on a mates job with one.
The last job the pointing was hard as hell,random stone and we hired a lightweight kango (45+vat/week) roughed out main bits then i checked over with a small grinder /diamond blade this cleaned it out great.
The main problem i find iscondensation from breathing through mask fogs glasses and you carnt see

Righty ho. Thanks for the suggestions but I did say I was raking out stonework, not brick so I think a grinder in whatever form will not be accurate enough without damaging the stone.
I had a chat with my lime supplier and he recommended this!
Arbortech AS170 Allsaw Brick and Mortar Saw 240V (AS-170)
I'm not buying it of course, just look at the price!!:RpS_scared:

My local hire company will do it for £40+VAT per day. Bargain I think and totally suited to the job. I'll let you know how I get on chaps.
Used one yesterday cutting out some brickwork worked well on some softish morter but struggled with harder stuff tried it raking out but pointing was to hard for it and it bounced about to much damaging the soft red bricks, they are £1000 to buy.

Used one yesterday cutting out some brickwork worked well on some softish morter but struggled with harder stuff tried it raking out but pointing was to hard for it and it bounced about to much damaging the soft red bricks, they are £1000 to buy.

I got on fine with it but the stone was local lias which is quite hard. It did bounce about a bit so I can see where you are coming from. Raking out near expensive soft bricks it certainly is not suitable for. I got all I needed to do done in a day and a half so I'm happy. I think a small grinder would also do okay too.

Status
Not open for further replies.