Regular users of Speedskim gear

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there,

its been a few years since I last posted, I could do with a little knowledge on how good this gear is, I did buy it many years ago soon after it came out, had a look at it and sent it back without giving it a try,I did not think it could work, now I have been told that alot of good spreads are useing it, and it is a fantastic tool to use on areas, would any regular user's of Speedskim mind giving me a step by step on the best way to use it.

I have seen a few videos on how to use it but most only show the ruleing off, it cannot be left like this, so how is it troweled up? how many times? with plastic or steel trowels, spray gun or brush/water? is it really faster and easier? better job? is the 1200m better to use than the 1800m? is it worth getting the attachment for ceilings? and what would this cost?

thanks

the only way it saves time and benefits is if you get on early whilst wet through pass it a couple of time I always find its good to go both ways ie up and down and cross...

then pick it up from there as say your first jump on the wall again would be a wet trowel otherwise you will still touch your wall as many times with your trowel and also be flattening with the speedskim etc...

likewise can give your first coat a early pass so its flat before topping a bit earlier than normal....

the speedskim is a great bit of kit, its great for flattening walls and ceilings and quicker than flattening with a trowel, and if you get your timings right you will only need to give it 2 trowels to finish,i use the plaziflex for that with very little or no water. the 1200 is all i use for ceilings and wall so the is well worth having. speedskim plus plaziflex trowel = less aches and pains...

Like the guys say leather the skim on and flatten asap , even before you wash your hand board and trowel.... don't buy the speedskim sf though as it is terrible. ..

thanks for the imput lads,

a couple of questions, first brimplas what is speedskim sf ? and which is the best 1200 to buy?

next mark, you use plaziflex rather than plastic or marshal town, is it really much beter than a quality old school trowel? you also say less aches and pains, (music to my ears) but if you use very little or no water, does this not cause more drag on your trowel resulting in more work in your arm (terrified of tennis elbow returning)

and Zombie do you use it all the time or just as and when, does it work ok on reskims? or only on new boardwork?

and finaly, I am used to useing a Marshalltown 13 inch, although now I have just moved on to a much better trowel imo, in the ready broke in spear and jackson 13 inch finishing trowel for £18, but if I need to get a plaziflex do I need to go bigger than 13 inch, is bigger better in these kind of trowels?

thanks for the help its much appreciated

I use a 1200 and 600,they both have their place as the 1200 is good for flat ish walls and ceilings like new build board work and the 600 is ok for reskims and anything really,I flatten with it then do two more passes in opposite directions with a little water on the blade and keeping it clean then a once over with the s*p*r*lex.id say I use a speedskim on 50 percent of my skimming work,sometimes don't bother it just depends on the job in hand.

@North east spread

personaly 90% of my work is re-skims and I find the 600mm is right for me fits in more places than the 1200 and follows the lumps and bumps a bit easier...

I tried the 1200mm on a pole for lids and I find its to big and awkward but others don't...

I treat mine and approach my work as though im rendering ie even if im only doing a 10m2 lid on I generaly would stop halfway and quickly give what ive put on a pass both ways and treat that as aquick pass your gear at that stage will be soaking wet and trowel at that stage would normaly destroy your work...the just continue with a few m2 at a time until all on...

but the difference is when you get to the end your gears already flattened down...

you will need to think outside the box and totally forget your steel timings to get the most benefit...

also if you know your going to be approaching your work in this manner don't fook about putting on neat or defeats the object just whack it on...

overs use differently but that's how I use...

personaly I think it benefits you most over low suction backgrounds once the gears at a stage that it would take a trowel then put it down...

good luck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.