refina trowel

Status
Not open for further replies.

safco

you guys av got me spending coin heard so much on this forum about refina trowel bought one today from local builders yard wanted to know what fuss were about 22 quid not bad feels good saying is a good trades man never blames his tools lol

you guys av got me spending coin heard so much on this forum about refina trowel bought one today from local builders yard wanted to know what fuss were about 22 quid not bad feels good saying is a good trades man never blames his tools lol

s*p*r*lex or Trade trowel?

One is a bendy, bonded thing & the other is a riveted, stiff as a dick on viagara workhorse!

People will rue the day they relied in these fads, not as good as old fashioned finish..but the are easier on the body,wait before you buy..

There alot more durable then people seem to think.

Drop it from 5 feet or just wait until it's proper sharp before making your conclusion!

They wear well, but durable they are not ... infact, not fit for purpose if I were to be honest.

Drop it from 5 feet or just wait until it's proper sharp before making your conclusion!

They wear well, but durable they are not ... infact, not fit for purpose if I were to be honest.

Drop any trowel from 5ft mate and itll be fooked I've been using the s*p*r*lex for over 2 years day in day out so have had plenty of time to draw some conclusions.

Drop any trowel from 5ft mate and itll be fooked I've been using the s*p*r*lex for over 2 years day in day out so have had plenty of time to draw some conclusions.

I dropped a Mashalltown from 25' and it hit a pudluck halfway down for good measure ... no problem!

I used to break my old trowels in my scraping the floor with them ... no problem!

Knock snotters off or scrape back artex or wall paper with a trusty old Tyzack or MT ... no problem!

Apply render, lime work or screed floors with the old Marshy ... no problem!

Try any of the above with a s*p*r*lex and it's bolloxed. They are flimsy and don't retain their shape.

You must be skimming boards day in, day out. I'm in the real world, where the s*p*r*lex just doesn't cut it as I'm on my 3rd.

I dropped a Mashalltown from 25' and it hit a pudluck halfway down for good measure ... no problem!

I used to break my old trowels in my scraping the floor with them ... no problem!

Knock snotters off or scrape back artex or wall paper with a trusty old Tyzack or MT ... no problem!

Apply render, lime work or screed floors with the old Marshy ... no problem!

Try any of the above with a s*p*r*lex and it's bolloxed. They are flimsy and don't retain their shape.

You must be skimming boards day in, day out. I'm in the real world, where the s*p*r*lex just doesn't cut it as I'm on my 3rd.
If your scrapping the floor or rendering or screeding with a skimmimg trowel no wonder your on your third. I have more then one trowel mate so dont need to anything other then skim with a trowel thats designed to skim with.

I still can't get hang of super flex . . . Just makes it look really wet and sandy .... How do you do it Scottie5 ?

i had that problem when i first started to use my one john but found it still closed the finish in at the latter stages nicley so i just stayed with it and havent looked back since, as a skimming only trowel you cant beat it, im the same as scottie got a selection of trowels (proberly too many to be honest) and they all have there individual specific jobs but the mts very rarely come out for skimming now only if i need to change size of trowel down for a bit.
i see beddys pic of his finish when he gave it a try and thats how mine was for coupla 2 or 3 days but like i said it still closed in fine so all i can say really is keep with it

i had that problem when i first started to use my one john but found it still closed the finish in at the latter stages nicley so i just stayed with it and havent looked back since, as a skimming only trowel you cant beat it, im the same as scottie got a selection of trowels (proberly too many to be honest) and they all have there individual specific jobs but the mts very rarely come out for skimming now only if i need to change size of trowel down for a bit.
i see beddys pic of his finish when he gave it a try and thats how mine was for coupla 2 or 3 days but like i said it still closed in fine so all i can say really is keep with it

Do you now put on with super flex ?

yes mate use it right the way through if its a particularly bad wall then ill put bonding through the first as per and use a mt but ill try and use a 20 in that situation to straighten things out a but then switch back to the sf

the s*p*r*lex is all i use now. won't look back. the final trowel on them is superb. don't bother with the plazzi. only use the speedskim on big panels. otherwise it's the two supeflex. got a 13 tyzack and 14 and 18 MT but hardly use them. they look weird now. i kinda feel sorry for them. if something else pops up that's magic i will give it a go. that's how i came across these - trial and error. it's what works for you. from day one with these i just knew we were meant to be together. it's what works for you. i use plastic handboard. always have. had some prick spark asking me why i didn't have a MT one, all the plasterers he knew used them blah blah blah. because i don't fcuking like them, that's why

im the only one in our team that uses a metal hawk all the others prefer the plastic ones plus they all like to save a little blob on they're hawks for those just in case moments and if it goes hard they can just tap it off and good as new, but i do prefer my kraft hawk

Hi Jurek, Can you tell what size of s*p*r*lex you use. Could you give e a link to the place you get them..

the s*p*r*lex is all i use now. won't look back. the final trowel on them is superb. don't bother with the plazzi. only use the speedskim on big panels. otherwise it's the two supeflex. got a 13 tyzack and 14 and 18 MT but hardly use them. they look weird now. i kinda feel sorry for them. if something else pops up that's magic i will give it a go. that's how i came across these - trial and error. it's what works for you. from day one with these i just knew we were meant to be together. it's what works for you. i use plastic handboard. always have. had some prick spark asking me why i didn't have a MT one, all the plasterers he knew used them blah blah blah. because i don't fcuking like them, that's why

Hi Jurek, Can you tell what size of s*p*r*lex you use. Could you give e a link to the place you get them..
i use the 14 inch, @cooptaza. i have the 16 inch, as well, but use that mainly on bigger ceilings etc. got one on ebay and the other from handtoolsexpress. don't want to give them a direct link but it's easy enough to google. or you could buy them direct from refina. if you do, add a little note in the order that you heard about the trowel on the plasterers forum and it would be good if there was a link from the plasterers forum to refina. plasterersonestopshop do something similar, as well, and perhaps have something new in the pipeline from what danny is saying in the earlier posts. if i'm honest, i chose the refina trowel over the plasterersonestopshop version because i didn't fancy the fibreglass shank

Last edited by a moderator:
I still make my own plywood hawks!

Are they not too heavy?? Mine is 16" square T6 aluminium made by my bro in law and had it over 8 years hardly worn at the edges considering I do mostly sand/cement work :RpS_thumbup:

Are they not too heavy?? Mine is 16" square T6 aluminium made by my bro in law and had it over 8 years hardly worn at the edges considering I do mostly sand/cement work :RpS_thumbup:

I can't seem to get used to anything else, I will try an aluminium one again when this one wears out!
I bought a proper scratcher about 9 years ago up until then I had bike spokes in a 8" piece of batten!

I can't seem to get used to anything else, I will try an aluminium one again when this one wears out!
I bought a proper scratcher about 9 years ago up until then I had bike spokes in a 8" piece of batten!

Mines really light but very strong I'll get a pic up??

I will be giving the super flex another go tomorrow as got a day of skimming ... See how we go ....

I really want to like it but I find myself ignoring it and just.just getting the MT out lately. I'm working with stolen Stilton tomorrow so i use it on his job cus it dont matter if it fucks up.

I will be giving the super flex another go tomorrow as got a day of skimming ... See how we go ....

John I might be stating the obvious but try keeping the blade angle as shallow as possible, and also keep the blade spotless.
The @jrplastering post above was spot on. Perseverance is key mate cause when it clicks you'll see how good a finish its possible to achieve.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
oh yeah i forgot that bit keep the blade flatter than you usually would, well thats what i did at first to combat the sandy effect lays in lovley, i used mine straight out the box from start to finish and like i said havent used anything since

fad.... just use a normal trowel..lol.. I couldnt be arsed worrying about dinting it etc.. sandy finish ?? bin it..

If your scrapping the floor or rendering or screeding with a skimmimg trowel no wonder your on your third. I have more then one trowel mate so dont need to anything other then skim with a trowel thats designed to skim with.

You are getting me all wrong here!

My s*p*r*lex is the best thing since the old bike sprocket on a pole was junked. I keep mine pristine & do nothing but trowel up with it ...

... but they are far too delicate, and telling folk on here (who are used to tough trowels) that they are durable is misleading.

Even you must admit the need to be tougher? Refina will churn out throwaway tat if they can get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.