Refina Plaziflex Trowel

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Refina

Just going to do a few posts about some of our products, mainly the plazi, the s*p*r*lex and sponge floats just to see what you think/gain some feedback. I know its a long read, but all feedback is welcome.

The Plaziflex plastic skimmers are a new type and design of trowel for applying and finishing multi finish plaster; there are several features and benefits
The trowels are made from plastics of different thicknesses and stiffness to give the properties required. Available in two versions, with and without foam cushioning. The cushioned trowels are ideal for contoured and curved surfaces such as swooped ceilings

The trowels do not need breaking in and will give an excellent finish straight away. They are safer to use than steel trowels with no sharp edges to cut or injure

Allow much earlier and faster recoating of previously applied gauges. Old and new surfaces can be blended more easily and excellent for plastering over old Artex
Because of their construction, they are much more comfortable and less tiring to use than steel trowels, allowing plasterers to complete jobs to a high standard faster and with much less effort.

Plaziflex are used for the final trowel of the finishing coat. They skim without the aid of water and leave a good polished finish on the surface. Can be used for trowelling up, flattening, skimming and finishing

Customer comments

“They allow you to get on wet plaster without tiger striping as much; we spray then use the Plaziflex trowel. Final going over with s*p*r*lex spatula then leave until hard and give it a quick polish with the plazie again”

“These trowels have been a revelation to my plastering, even after 29 years. Although the finish is still the same the ease at which I can get to this point is amazing. The trowels are effortless to use and the spread is just astounding”

“I use the plastic on the cross after the wet trowel then I’ll give it a dry trowel and final cross finish. It’s a lot easier going on the arm as it just glides over the surface. It will be ready to finish straight after you’ve crossed it with your wet trowel ie normal wet trowel then cross with plastic. Its ready for final trowel straight away rather than waiting. Also sometimes if you’ve done it right you can get off with just one wet trowel and the plazi cross trowelling. It just brings the finish up lovely”

“Produce far fewer lines when applying skim coats. Easier and faster 'closing in' and flattening of finishing coats. No need to wait for plaster to pick up, can be used effectively when plaster is still wet”

“After the first quick usage the plaziflex is working a treat; got some skimming on so thought we would try it and it is basically allowing me to give it the final trowel much earlier due to more glide and less transference that you would get of a steel blade; in other words a steel will still pull at the surface until it is just ready to the point where it will finish it off. Where you need to usually wait a little for a reasonably hard plaster, the plazi will go over a much greener damper wall and finish it really smooth, obviously finishing the set quicker. I have only used on the final trowel though, we’re still using steel for all the other trowelling”

“Plastic trowels are the new sponge float! Use them to polish your multi finish up lovely. When the finish is all hard but still pink, use them to 'float up' like a normal trowel but it is more flexible. Keep your multi finish plastic trowel and sand cement plastic trowels separate. If you get a nick in your multifinish plastic trowel or it leaves lines in your work, use wet and dry sand paper to get it out of your trowel”

“Less strenuous on wrists, elbows and shoulders, as less pressure needs to be applied than when using a steel trowel. As a result, larger blade sizes can be used, allowing me to cover a larger surface area more quickly”

Last edited:
who do you let trial you tools? these guys seem a tad r******d.

“Plastic trowels are the new sponge float!!"

hmmm

They missed the name off the bottom. Mr R E Fina.

haha not quite, all reviews are by real plasterers, if you think you this review is a bit off then please let us know. I know you guys like to give us a bit of stick, but the point of this is to gain your feedback, what you use the trowels for, how you find using them etc. The review i posted was purely to see if you agreed/disagreed. So let us know, would be appreciated!

you being serious??

Sorry I meant whats the problem asking for free trials.... Refina are always promoting new stuff that will make our job easier but we have to fork out every time for them even if they are s**t, Its about time they gave out stuff to tradesmen and got a proper opinion ,Rather than a review made up in the office.

i never said there was a problem with free trials??

i just some of the comments were a bit r******d....

it wasnt you was it? :)

Like it says 'no need to be broken in' mine must be a dud then im not saying it doesnt do well in some areas but if you was to use it out of the box you would have pretty deep scratches, so really a good wet n dry does the trick i know it comes with skidds but always getting it out day after day needs sanding again. touch a angle bead with it needs sanding again, but when you have sanded it, its spot on for fethering in, first cross with steel then plazzi done takes a bit of time off my gauge. but £20 for replacement floppy plastic bit much in it give it 6 more month and F***in Rolson with have it on shelf for £2.50

Like it says 'no need to be broken in' mine must be a dud then im not saying it doesnt do well in some areas but if you was to use it out of the box you would have pretty deep scratches, so really a good wet n dry does the trick i know it comes with skidds but always getting it out day after day needs sanding again. touch a angle bead with it needs sanding again, but when you have sanded it, its spot on for fethering in, first cross with steel then plazzi done takes a bit of time off my gauge. but £20 for replacement floppy plastic bit much in it give it 6 more month and F***in Rolson with have it on shelf for £2.50

cheers for this bumpy, good feedback on the trowel

also, with new products, the cost for us is relatively high until mass production. And as with all new products some take off, some don't so we have to know they will sell before we do this. cheers

Last edited:
Mine was better than that ass licking review.....
Hey Refina who did the reviews/tutorials....?

the reviews are from various different customers that have commented through emailed.

with plastering, the techniques are so varied and mix opinions on new tools and techniques etc. its hard to keep everyone happy

also, with new products, the cost for us is relatively high until mass production. And as with all new products some take off, some don't so we have to know they will sell before we do this. cheers

Just out of curiosity, which "new" products have gone into mass production and come down in price over the years?

On the upside you do sell some decent gear although as everyone has said, it can always be found cheaper elsewhere.

Just out of curiosity, which "new" products have gone into mass production and come down in price over the years?

On the upside you do sell some decent gear although as everyone has said, it can always be found cheaper elsewhere.

For example, you have our spike rollers, pin levellers, adjustable corner trowels, harling trowels. These are all products we have manufactured for us over the years, and as they have become more popular we have started buying in larger numbers.

We aim to provide the best tools for you guys, whether it be through us or a distributor that buys from us, just as long as you are happy with the products themselves.

cheers

For example, you have our spike rollers, pin levellers, adjustable corner trowels, harling trowels. These are all products we have manufactured for us over the years, and as they have become more popular we have started buying in larger numbers.

We aim to provide the best tools for you guys, whether it be through us or a distributor that buys from us, just as long as you are happy with the products themselves.

cheers

Good answer although I think you're adjustable corner trowel is unusable, well it is if you want a decent finish.

Good answer although I think you're adjustable corner trowel is unusable, well it is if you want a decent finish.

yeah, there was a little problem with the finishing of the adjustable corner trowel, so we have changed the design so the joins are more flush. This is the result of feedback from some customers.

Cheers for all your feedback Andy, finding it useful.

ive actually started to use my plastic for the final cross only now but i use it to dull the finish down a bit as my ss gets it like a mirror but i just cross it with the plazzy and get a nice not so shiney finish:RpS_thumbup:

yeah, there was a little problem with the finishing of the adjustable corner trowel, so we have changed the design so the joins are more flush. This is the result of feedback from some customers.

Cheers for all your feedback Andy, finding it useful.

I bought one of your 10in bucket trowels recently from a supplier and they have asked me for a review. I have held back from doing because I thought I should tell you my thoughts first. So just between me and you I found that the corners were so sharp that they ripped my skimming bucket to shreds. I don't think we should have to sort out something as simple as a bucket before use.
Apart from that it seems a very sturdy, well made if a bit expensive piece of kit.

I bought one of your 10in bucket trowels recently from a supplier and they have asked me for a review. I have held back from doing because I thought I should tell you my thoughts first. So just between me and you I found that the corners were so sharp that they ripped my skimming bucket to shreds. I don't think we should have to sort out something as simple as a bucket before use.
Apart from that it seems a very sturdy, well made if a bit expensive piece of kit.

cheers andy will pass that info on. was this the 10" heavy duty trowel? do you have a stock code so we can make sure we get the right one? cheers

ive actually started to use my plastic for the final cross only now but i use it to dull the finish down a bit as my ss gets it like a mirror but i just cross it with the plazzy and get a nice not so shiney finish:RpS_thumbup:

cheers for the feedback

cheers andy will pass that info on. was this the 10" heavy duty trowel? do you have a stock code so we can make sure we get the right one? cheers

225126 mate, as said it's really well made just to sharp. It also has a different handle design to that on your website.

andy i got a rst one the other day its mahoosive 2 dollops and me hawk is full to brimming only cost me 3 quid its not ss though but ive always had bucket trowels that rust and they last me years

andy i got a rst one the other day its mahoosive 2 dollops and me hawk is full to brimming only cost me 3 quid its not ss though but ive always had bucket trowels that rust and they last me years

We bought a couple of these a few years ago and they are still going strong, good scoops.

i use a harling trowel now. find them pretty good

To be honest I personally have never liked using bucket trowels and prefer to just use a spare 14/16in ss trowel to finish emptying the bucket onto the board but my son likes the bucket trowels, so £21 on a bucket trowel it is.

The sponge is coming away from the blade on my plazzi, you said in another thread that you would be replacing the faulty ones, how do I go about this?

i thought you meant to scoop out of the tub. same as you i normally use a board and stand, and a guaging trowel normally to scrape out

225126 mate, as said it's really well made just to sharp. It also has a different handle design to that on your website.

i've had a look at the pic on the website and this is the handle that the trowels should be supplied with.

which handle did you get on yours?

I have passed on the info about it being a too sharp to the boss too.

Status
Not open for further replies.