Reducing set times...

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMK

Hi guys.

I got trained up by a builder and combined that knowledge with my NVQ course to get to the stage i am at today.
A normal days skimming for me would be two sets of around 25 sq.m each lasting around 4 hours per set. If i mix more than 25sq.m the plaster tends to go off in the tub (mixing in one of those big ??50litre?? gorilla tubs).

All my work is domestic and i am more than happy with my finish, but haven't ever worked with another plasterer, so haven't had the opportunity to see how to lay more on/reduce set times and get more sets out in the day.

Any advice please...?

Many Thanks

That's what every one says... but i don't consider myself to be going slow at all, that's why i assumed there must be another way of getting more plaster on the walls in a day.

Any other advice please...?

4 hour per set? i used to d big set then found the best way is loads of small sets that way it all wet plaster, your always in controll and less stress. and you can get more on. just keep going every mix add a new wall ect

yes, do a third set. personally I hate a 3 set day as you dont get time to fart all day and only do them to finish something off really. much prefer 2 bigger sets. 50m2 is tidy enough mate.

How do you mean oasis?
What size sets do you do, and how long do they take you??
Thanks

well say a bag a set maybe a bag and a bit. set done within 2 hours do 4-5 small sets some days and on some walls top with same mix if it works out that way, but thats a hole new ball game!

Yeah, i know what you mean. Try to avoid topping with same mix at all costs tho to be honest.
Still can't understand the 2 hour set time tho mate. How does the plaster have time to go off?? Am i laying on too thick / messing around with it too much... i dunno?

I lay on, flatten, lay top on, close in x2, polish with water.

confused ???

bigger set takes longer to lay on! you can hit a bag on some easy walls quite quick then any left over lay on the window reveals to thicken up , cut back the scim from the bead when it picks up ect so then it takes less time to plaster revels when your on the go as its already had the bead filled out ect.. loads of stuff you can do. i used to say never top with same mix but if u do small sets you can easily do this on some of the walls witch saves Loads of time and there is nuffin wrong with the finish. as i do 2 coats most of the time and i cat reali see much of a difference but like i said its a new ball game loads of options on this lol

gd luck

I've got a nice bucket with handles can fit a bag of multi in it. Mix it, chuck it on the spot board, put it on around the tops of the walls. Then mix another bucket, same thing but put it on the bottoms taking the lines out as I go. Anything left over stick on a smaller wall or any small shitty bits of area. Then straight into another bag mix for second coat top and bottom. Put it on and wash up. Mixing up the 2 first coat bags separately stops it from going off on the spot board and slightly less stress from having to force going off gack up the walls. ;)

Yeah I suppose but the only difference between a normal set is that I don't mix up 2 X 1 bag buckets and cram it on the spot board all at the same time for the 1st coat. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.