re-skimming lime walls

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballsdeep

hi,lads,i noticed a few of you didn't warm to applying gypsum plaster on lime walls . whats the crack with it re-skimming lime walls? got a whole house to do. cheers

Being a nobody, maybe I should just keep quiet but why don't you apply a lime plaster if that's what is there already?

Should be lime, some dont some do. some get away with it some dont ask the customer what he is willingto pay for and what the pitfalls might be if he dont use lime

if you go for gypsum on lime make sure you get some stabiliser. paint/roll that on, let it dry, then PVA.

works a treat.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion mate, and no person is a nobody, carry on posting:RpS_thumbup:

Thanks, Warrior....I just meant not being a plasterer (or the customer paying for the work :RpS_biggrin:) it's easy for me be to be a dreamy idealist.

No disrespect to customer or plasterer, but I'd like to see the work of past craftsmen appreciated and looked after with matching materials.

If I took a 150 year old piece of furniture to someone because it's finish was looking a bit battered and worse for wear, I'm not sure I would want it simply covered in a polyurethane varnish.

Should be lime, some dont some do. some get away with it some dont ask the customer what he is willingto pay for and what the pitfalls might be if he dont use lime

can you reskim with lime??? for example on a listed building?? unibond and lime putty??? would save a lot of hacknig off

I'd have a look at what paint they've used if they haven't used a lime wash they've already sealed it give them a price with multi finish and ask them if there happy, the customer is the surveyor you're offering a service

cheers lads. the family want all there lime walls skimmed & looking beautiful. i advised them to allow me to invest in some bonding agents? all my past experiences skimming lime walls with multiple coats of strong pva have been a nightmare with suction,shrinkage etc. twitcher which stabalizer do you suggest? cheers

I learned it off here. Do a search for suction, that should bring up the thread.

I've just used the Wickes one but theres a sandtex one I think too that spunkmeister was on about.
Seem to remember Nisus saying make sure it's clear, water based. That's it really, works a treat.

hey,twitcher,went to wickes today,the only stabiliser they had was a 5 litre masonary 1 which said stated it was for external use only. the manager of the shop said they've never done an artex stabiliser? is it the masonary 1 you've been using? cheers

cheers. my old dears house,where iv'e started wall paper stripping, the finish on all the walls are a weird green colour. i didn't know what that finish was so that would be limewash. the job i'm supposed to be skimming the walls are solid grey(no skim) which i assume would be lime rendered? the house is from the late 60's early 70's.

yeah it's exterior stabilising solution, comes in 5L and 1L I think. 5L is bout £21

try it mate, you won't look back.

Status
Not open for further replies.