Re render or bonding?

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cooper.s

I'm no plasterer and I don't claim to be (I'm actually a gas engineer), so please pardon my ignorance.

I have just decided to renew the kitchen but the walls behind the units just crumbled into dust, as I started hacking it off I ended up hacking off 2 whole walls.

I've done a load of research about this but I can't work out wether I would be better off re rendering the walls or do a bonding coat instead or something else?

Again pardon my ignorance if it seems like a ridiculous question.

Both walls are going to be pretty much hidden with units, tiles, cupboards etc it's only going to be on top of the cupboard that will need a nice smooth finish for paint.

What is my best option?
I'd love to get a true spread in to sort it out as I've got far too much to do already but it's mine and the other halfs first house so money is tight.

Dab plasterboard on if you can't wet plaster it. :RpS_thumbup:
Or just use what was there before probably browning, browning or hardwall will do the job.

Remember to wet your walls down first and maybe a weak PVA mix to help seasl the substrate to give you more time to get your dabs (if dry lining) or your backing coat on before it starts drying in before you get a chance to get it flat. (I'm only suggesting this as not being a spread you will be a lot slower) hope this helps and good luck. Personally I'd at least get a quote off a reputable spread as by the time you not only buy all the materials and tools required? You may be suprised and save yourself a lot of hassle??

If its an old house like it sounds render it with a waterproofer in it as the other options will aid rising damp.....

if you can use a trowel, use sand and cement or bagged backing coat , if you cant dib and dob it, any monkey can do that .

House is 1930s and luckily I've got all the tools as few years back I done a couple of weeks as a plasterers labourer and was going to learn to plaster so I've got most of the tools, all brand new too lol
The walls don't have to be perfectly flat as most of them I will be covered etc
My original plan was to sand and cement render but how do I get the smooth finish for painting in the areas that are not covered with wall units and tiles etc? Can I just skim over the top in multi finish?

Main reason I want to have a crack myself is I love a new challenge and I know how hard plastering is.

[Q UOTE=cooper.s;798483]House is 1930s and luckily I've got all the tools as few years back I done a couple of weeks as a plasterers labourer and was going to learn to plaster so I've got most of the tools, all brand new too lol
The walls don't have to be perfectly flat as most of them I will be covered etc
My original plan was to sand and cement render but how do I get the smooth finish for painting in the areas that are not covered with wall units and tiles etc? Can I just skim over the top in multi finish?

Main reason I want to have a crack myself is I love a new challenge and I know how hard plastering is.[/QUOTE]
You will be fine if you have had a few weeks experience as a plasterer.just like most people off this site,lol !!

Status
Not open for further replies.