Re plaster - hallway

SunshineBelle72

Hi All, I’m new here and looking for some advice.
I’ll live in an old terraced home and have been looking to get my hallway redone for some time.
I’ve had someone round who has advised that original wood panelling will need to be removed in order for them to plaster the hallway.
The plastering technique they are using is mesh.

I’ve got a few of these features in the hallway and it seems a shame to remove them.
The hallway was plastered before I moved in so tye seem to have got round the problem.

I would appreciate your thoughts and feedback on this.

Attached some pics for reference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 191
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 187
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 197
For a job like that, and what you're after - you need someone at the top of their game.

I'd say 70% of plasterers may struggle and you could end up disappointed.

Be picky now and pay a proper tradesman, one who's used to doing this type of work (or like so many people that end up on here complaining), there's a good chance you could end up paying twice. Or asking a decorator cover extra work in getting it right.

Best of luck.

Thanks you. I really want to maintain the integrity of the building and keep as many original features as possible. I would sadden me if I had to remove them.

These are timber bullnose angle beads. Why does the plasterer want to use mesh? are there areas of cracking?
Or does he want to fit thin coat beads and mesh the timber as these will crack the plaster.

Hi All, I’m new here and looking for some advice.
I’ll live in an old terraced home and have been looking to get my hallway redone for some time.
I’ve had someone round who has advised that original wood panelling will need to be removed in order for them to plaster the hallway.
The plastering technique they are using is mesh.

I’ve got a few of these features in the hallway and it seems a shame to remove them.
The hallway was plastered before I moved in so tye seem to have got round the problem.

I would appreciate your thoughts and feedback on this.

Attached some pics for reference.
What’s wrong with it now? Your post says it’s been done then you want it done again?
If you want to keep the bullnose dowels then get them to plant a stop bead either side

These are timber bullnose angle beads. Why does the plasterer want to use mesh? are there areas of cracking?
Or does he want to fit thin coat beads and mesh the timber as these will crack the plaster.
Hi - there are no areas of cracking. They look good despite being really old. I will
Pose the question tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I have an old scraper that is worn down to shape for scraping back either side of dowlings. I dig them out neatly, then use bonding before skim and clean them as I go. I’ll try find a picture

There is no need to remove these at all

Don’t like them on stops, leaves them flapping
Good on angles though I still use my roll can’t fault it
It's a new kit for stop beads. It comes with pre cut double sided tabs to stick the underside of the bead.

Attachments

• 20230217_135045.jpg
    20230217_135045.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
  • 20230217_135919.jpg
    20230217_135919.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 20230217_135957.jpg
    20230217_135957.jpg
    833.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 20230217_140643.jpg
    20230217_140643.jpg