Members online

mikeyt201

I had wall built and the outside face was then rendered (the inside is not seen and has bushes up against it, so that side was not rendered). it’s breeze block exterior garden block wall around 4 feet high and around 30 feet long with expansion joints (please see photos) built around 2 years ago.

After about a year it seems to have developed a vertical stepped shaped crack on the outside of the wall.
I think it is breeze block (although not sure) and I dug out the crack and filled it with exterior filler. After 6 months the crack has re appeared so I started again and used Toupret exterior filler to repair the crack.

I also put some filler on the side of the wall which is not rendered, just in case there was a crack and water was getting in on the inside.

Now some 6 months later again the crack has re appeared. A friend said maybe when it was built one of the blocks may have cracked but the builder just rendered over the top of it, although I’m not sure if this is the case.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to stop repair the wall and stop this crack re appearing as this is my 3rd attempt to cure the problem ?

Someone suggested using Galvanised Mesh, secured to the wall but then went on to say it will eventually rust,

does anyone have any experience of using mesh, Galvanised or fibre (non rust?) which may allow a slight movement without cracking the wall.

The wall has concrete posts and my other wall which is similar and built at the same time does not suffer with this problem.

Any advice you can give me will be much appreciated, thanks.

Please see photos of exterior wall and a photo of the inside where I have added some filler in case there was a crack.

Attachments

• FF4F2DBD-37C7-45EE-9A64-F128C8A85003.jpeg
    FF4F2DBD-37C7-45EE-9A64-F128C8A85003.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 388
  • 1BAA0D9C-8C91-4DC1-8722-8CE497735DC5.jpeg
    1BAA0D9C-8C91-4DC1-8722-8CE497735DC5.jpeg
    420 KB · Views: 352
Last edited by a moderator:
Best invention out was breeze blocks , love em , love a bit of expansion

You can get stainless steel mesh better than galvanised. Once patched over a crack used a strip of building paper with mesh fixed over. Like your bridging over the crack.

You can get stainless steel mesh better than galvanised. Once patched over a crack used a strip of building paper with mesh fixed over. Like your bridging over the crack.
Hi JML, Yes I was thinking of trying the mesh, would I just just render the mesh into the wall or would I need to secure it in any way (screws/nails) ?

I would try and find the source of the crack rather than go over a crack with a reinforced render to hold the wall together.

The source of the crack can be numerous things but if you are going to go down the reinforced render route then consider polyester rendering mesh rather than expanded metal lathing which is more a render carrier.

A high polymer thin coat render which is a 5-6 mm skim with mesh embedded. But also consider putting copings on Maybe finish with a 1.5mm silicone finish.

I would try and find the source of the crack rather than go over a crack with a reinforced render to hold the wall together.

The source of the crack can be numerous things but if you are going to go down the reinforced render route then consider polyester rendering mesh rather than expanded metal lathing which is more a render carrier.

A high polymer thin coat render which is a 5-6 mm skim with mesh embedded. But also consider putting copings on Maybe finish with a 1.5mm silicone finish.
Hi Rigsby, many thanks for that option also.

the crack has appeared because there has been some movement in your wall.
remove the render from the panel.
cut out the crack either with a masonry drill or angle grinder. try to cut about half way through the block. try to remove the dust from the crack.
fill the crack with Fischer resin, or similar resin, applied by a mastic gun.
finish with a full mesh and thin coat system as Rigby has described.

the crack has appeared because there has been some movement in your wall.
remove the render from the panel.
cut out the crack either with a masonry drill or angle grinder. try to cut about half way through the block. try to remove the dust from the crack.
fill the crack with Fischer resin, or similar resin, applied by a mastic gun.
finish with a full mesh and thin coat system as Rigby has described.
What If it's foundation issue

Hi JML, Yes I was thinking of trying the mesh, would I just just render the mesh into the wall or would I need to secure it in any way (screws/nails) ?
I used masonry nails with stainless steel washers, was following building surveyors spec’.