RATES m2

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
prolly cos the two are worlds apart mate.. to be able to do both you need to be experienced in both, domestic lads landing on a site for the first time will be knackered and laughed at till they get the hang of the routine..
site spreads on a domestic will scare the living shi't out of customers till they get the hang of what they expect and how to price for customers expectations..
if all someone does is skim board, at speed, all day everyday they get to a point where they can one coat thick and get a perfectly acceptable finish..
the customer though.. different animal, they expect to be able to see their faces in it, then they just assume theyre doing something wrong when they come to paint it..
youve got to be pretty damn good to be able to one coat everything though.. i'll one coat small ceilings on board but the bigger ones get 2... i aint got the arms for it ;D
(i never tell anybody that though ;))

essexandy said:
Why do people ask things like "is all site work one coat", in my experience there are both good site spreads and good domestic spreads, but a good site spread can still work to a high standard whilst covering the metres and also tackle the private jobs if they fancy, where as even the good domestic spreads just can't hack the pace on site as a rule. That's not a put down on the private guys it's just that I get fed up with it being made to sound like the site workers are more likely to cut corners and be rough.
I feel a lot better now and am going to go and lay down in a dark room.

its cuz nerly every new home iv been on is crap and looks like cowboys have put it2 ,every one knows how poo site standers can be,that maybe why they think the one coat site plaster will be the same? i live in a new home 2 and its dry lined but every bit about it has no quilt.....

I agree with what you say Chris, when multi first came out it said on the bags apply one coat and that's really when a lot of the lads started to one coat. I did I think about four or five houses using the one coat method, to make a top quality job wasn't any quicker than doing two coats the traditional way due to having to have the mix stiffer in order to get the correct thickness in one go which just can't be spread as quickly and neatly. I don't know any decent spreads using the one coat method where there is any area to put on, the odd little ceiling is a different matter as you say.

I hear what your saying oasis but nearly every little private job I see is of a K-rap standard as well, I did a little screed of 30m2 on Saturday the house had been re-skimmed but the guy who did it couldn't screed according to the owner, I said but he can't plaster either so why did you let him do that. And that's the point really private or site there are very very few top class spreads about and most that think they are, are kidding themselves.

I have tried 1 coat,but it is no faster.Most good plasteres bangg the average wall on in 5-10 minutes max.
If you one coat it hangs for ages to drying time,this is what site plasterers want to get the meterage.
Its as fast to coat up 2 walls then coat up again.Get it flat!!!! and at a stage ready for polishing when dry.
Then go bang more walls on and come back to the other walls that will be dry by the time you put more walls on.
1 coat to me is lunnacy.But i d o understand why the site guys think they have to do it.
You cant do it in domestic and do a good job.
3 bags 2sets 3 to3.5 hours twice a day 1 rooms a day done to a good quality finnish.
In domestic its all about qualityand neatness if you wanna get paid.

the job im on soon its for a painter so the finish has to be bang on eggshell

To get the finish i want i need 2 coats...maybe if id been spreading 20 years ...i could....i mostly do private...can do site and like it...no dust sheets and cleaning......but i could consistly hit for price all the time think me arm would fall off....think chris hit nail on the head

site work is all about getting a method to work to then do it that way everytime and you will get the m2's on easily and there are good and bad in every trade you get a good 2+1 gang and you can bang out 250 aday and good work aswell

Status
Not open for further replies.