Rapid set cement or frostproofer/accelerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arti

Got a tiny panel to render next week and the job is fewkin miles away and i wanna dub it out and scratch it the same day so my question is. is it better to dub it out with rapid cement ( think it goes off in 20 mins) or just add frostproofer to the mix?

Only problem with rapid is that salts appear in the finish, frost proofer accelerator I find hard to predict as in how long it will set.sorry not much help I know..

We use rapid set cement from time to time as we do a fair bit of general building work. One thing i would say is that it does tend to crack as a result of the speed it goes off from time to time

Prompt is the way to go for sure. I use it all the time, its designed for bulking deep areas, has the ability to set underwater and become waterproof lol. There are lots of ways to mix prompt, it can be used on its own, mixed with sand or gauged with another mix. I use it with sand 1:1 to run bench moulds, or for quick render patches s/c mixed at 4:1, take one bucket of mixed s/c and gauge it with 1/3 bucket of prompt, mix up and use bloody quick! To adjust the set, simply add or reduce prompt. I know Cornish Lime supply it and l*m*-g***n about £18 a bag.

Yeh it sets super fast, not many people know about it, I'm lucky my dad taught me about it, comes in real handy at times , plus it's a natrual cement so I think a lot of the lime boys will know about it.

How tiny is it marra?
The wall I mean :RpS_unsure:

they are both tiny...................:RpS_crying:. 2mx1m.......its tinchy strider

cheers for the other tip Beddy................you big horses ass.................:rolleyes)

I'm pretty sure that adding some finish powder DOES work............seen it done a while back, can't remember what the long-term stability was like though :RpS_confused:

Never heard of that 'prompt cement' before, heard of the Roman cement and it looks the same stuff - is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
OCR marra?

its a canny bit to dub out and having not used OCR before would i be able to dub out and scratch in the same day??
might just go with the frostproofer option as it seems these rapid cement's might crack?

Im still no farther forward...............:RpS_laugh:...............FFS...............:rolleyes)

@ARTisan, You dont seem keen on using prompt? Just mix up prompt 1:2, dub out your areas with it, wait til it sets 15-20mins max, then go about your scratch coat in your usual manner (s/c straight on top,) return following visit and top coat.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ARTisan, You dont seem keen on using prompt? Just mix up prompt 1:2, dub out your areas with it, wait til it sets 15-20mins max, then go about your scratch coat in your usual manner (s/c straight on top,) return following visit and top coat.

i assumed it was just used with Lime mortar/render?.Or maybe i read it wrong @BrummieTrev

[h=2]Examples of Use[/h]Accelerated building operations, emergency repairs, rebuilding of openings, quick build up of any type of masonry, quick or rapid (use of Tempo), very useful for fitting doors and windows. Underpinning operations, with a higher compressive strength than NHL based lime concrete or mortars, and with a much quicker set allowing for safer and improved productivity, all without the need for OPC.[h=2]Where to use Quick Setting 'Prompt Cement'[/h]Prompt Natural Cement can be used in countless applications on its own, with sand or gauged with traditional lime mortars and plasters, lime putty or NHL mixes, along with many other applications in building conservation where accelerating or achieving a rapid set would be beneficial.

It just says without the need for OPC, not dont mix or gauge with OPC, ive always gauged it with OPC if I require a quick set or same day finish. They are focusing using it with lime because A) Its a natural cement and B) There isnt many products that are compatible with lime. Give it a try mate and I bet you will always keep a bag spare in stock for a rainy day. Bloody hell, prompt should be paying me here for promoting their product lol. What ever you decide, best of luck with it mate.

Examples of Use

Accelerated building operations, emergency repairs, rebuilding of openings, quick build up of any type of masonry, quick or rapid (use of Tempo), very useful for fitting doors and windows. Underpinning operations, with a higher compressive strength than NHL based lime concrete or mortars, and with a much quicker set allowing for safer and improved productivity, all without the need for OPC.Where to use Quick Setting 'Prompt Cement'

Prompt Natural Cement can be used in countless applications on its own, with sand or gauged with traditional lime mortars and plasters, lime putty or NHL mixes, along with many other applications in building conservation where accelerating or achieving a rapid set would be beneficial.

It just says without the need for OPC, not dont mix or gauge with OPC, ive always gauged it with OPC if I require a quick set or same day finish. They are focusing using it with lime because A) Its a natural cement and B) There isnt many products that are compatible with lime. Give it a try mate and I bet you will always keep a bag spare in stock for a rainy day. Bloody hell, prompt should be paying me here for promoting their product lol. What ever you decide, best of luck with it mate.

so you reckon it will be sound to use it to dub out in the morning then scratch the wall as normal in the afternoon with out it cracking the scratch when it cures?

its a canny bit to dub out and having not used OCR before would i be able to dub out and scratch in the same day??
might just go with the frostproofer option as it seems these rapid cement's might crack?

Im still no farther forward...............:RpS_laugh:...............FFS...............:rolleyes)

How much you gotta build it out?

Here try this accelerator it takes 5 minutes to set diluted :-0
Or 30 seconds to set undiluted :RpS_scared:

Link >> Vandex Accelerator - Accelerating agent for Portland Cement

so you reckon it will be sound to use it to dub out in the morning then scratch the wall as normal in the afternoon with out it cracking the scratch when it cures?

Honestly mate it will be fine, ive never had it crack once cured, you can dub out AND scratch it in the morning. Ive been using prompt for over 10years now, its just like casting plaster but cement. Just gauge 1 shovel of sharp sand, 1 shovel of plastering sand, 1 shovel of prompt, chuck into a gorilla tub, add water, mix up with paddle drill, youll get about 10 mins to use it and clean your tools, bucket, and drill. Then mix up scratch coat, by this time prompt will be set solid. You can mix it in a tray (bath) aswell by hand but it takes slightly longer to set.

No never used it marra.
You could whack a load of sugar in that'll accelerate it :RpS_thumbup:

Look:
http://www.sciencevision.org.pk/BackIssues/Vol8/Vol8No1/Vol8No1_09_Effect_of_Sugar_BazidKhan.pdf

Im gonna start calling you minge 2 or mange tout if you prefer...............:RpS_laugh:

Its a canny idea, just have to be careful that you put enough sugar in the mix to accelerate it or you could be there all day.....might start calling me and the youngin hanzel & gretal......................:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.