Quirks - Wooden bullnosed angle bead

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlasherMcGurk

Hi,

Longtime visitor of the forums, first time poster, be gentle! :rolleyes)

I'm coming from a background of learning skimming and getting some good results at it just doing jobs for friends and family. A friend of mine has asked for a bit of help with a Victorian property he lives in.

Most of the old bullnosed wooden angle beads have been stripped back and revealed in the house and it looks really good. The work was done by the previous owner. He now wants to tackle one and asked for a bit of help.

At the moment the plaster's been hacked off around the bead and there's a couple of things I'm not too sure about. What's the best tool to use to produce the quirk, I was thinking a Small Tool with the angled point may work running it down against the bead but I'm not sure how easy it would be to produce a straight angle all the way down. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also what's the best gear to use? I'm thinking it'll be too deep to use just a finish plaster. Would bonding then finish be the way to go or can you use a filler?

Here's a couple of pics to illustrate what I'm looking to do, the first is the bead with the plaster removed and the second is anothe bead in the house showing what we're hoping to achieve.

Cheers!

IMG_0986.JPG

IMG_0987.JPG

Lol good choice. A decent coat of pva on that short edge as it will pull in pretty quick. Some might prefer to stick a stop bead with a slither of bonding on the edge, personally I would give a run down with either pointing trowel or small tool along the back of feather edge.

Cheers Olican, good advice!

The whole wall won't be getting skimmed as it's in good condition with that in mind what gear should I use? It's too deep just to use finish, is it possible to use something like Easi-fill to do both jobs of filling the gap and giving a decent enough finish to paint on? Would it be possible to cut in the quirk using Easi-fill?

Cheers Olican, good advice!

The whole wall won't be getting skimmed as it's in good condition with that in mind what gear should I use? It's too deep just to use finish, is it possible to use something like Easi-fill to do both jobs of filling the gap and giving a decent enough finish to paint on? Would it be possible to cut in the quirk using Easi-fill?

Be brave and order some lime finishing plaster just dampen the area first with water and you will have all the time in the world to get it rightish. :)

I think that's Sting in the video, before he was famous and a hypocritical gobsh*te

Don't copy the template in the vid, though. I'd explain further but I have to go shopping. You'll work it out, it's not rocket science:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.