Question about scratch coat and different techniques.

parhsg

I live in Greece. Virtually all buildings are built with bricks and reinforced concrete.
When plastering/rendering the walls when not using machine the first coat is applied like that.

They throw it on the wall without any leveling - they leave it as it. The second coat is leveled only.
I can't find this method documented anywhere. I asked this question at local groups and most responses I got were sarcasm and insults. Some told me that "why waste time leveling the first coat and then scratching it?"

Is this method common? Does it have any benefit over the scratch coat method?

[QUOTE
They throw it on the wall without any leveling - they leave it as it. The second coat is leveled only.
Some told me that "why waste time leveling the first coat and then scratching it?"
[/QUOTE]
So when they put their second coat on its varying thickness produces patches of render going off at different rates , wish them luck with producing a good finish
It's basically that " they " don't give a fxck
@parhsg

[QUOTE
Some told me that "why waste time leveling the first coat and then scratching it?"
So when they put their second coat on its varying thickness produces patches of render going off at different rates , wish them luck with producing a good finish
@parhsg
[/QUOTE]

Actually they achieve smooth finishes somehow. After this first coat they put metal guides every 1m usually for the base coat.
Recently I saw a job that they were too bored to float. They did barely applied a first coat (thrown) and then applied thick base coat.
Here is the photo of after second coat(base coat) applied. They are going to apply the last one (final).
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KuYmmMBJyeXk9XEE6
Do you see any issues? This wall is a double brick wall.

[QUOTE
@parhsg
[/QUOTE]
Also he's a lot cheaper than a ritmo and probably cheaper than a trowel and hawk
Good to watch different methods though

I have seen them in Rhodes doing the above. They tend to use battens to rule off but the end job is usually good. I saw some diesel machine renders on a couple of jobs using sand, cement and wet lime, no angle beads just multiple layers and angles formed. It was thick between 20-25mm and was bang flat and smooth when completed.

Definitely a good team job.

the wall is built with what we call ' pots' hollow blocks.
there was a factory in Colchester making these in the 60s, Molar pots. parked cars would be covered in dust for about a mile around the works.
the scud coat is just a method of building up a key to receive the next coat.

I didn't, I was fitting the stoves, cement boards dabbed on with tile cement, but - designed for dot n dab boards with a skim coat internally and single skin monocouche outyside. The internal face is first sealed with a yardbrush-applied cement slurry to fill holes and make airtight, that pretty much deals with suction and leaves a decent grip face. They didn't have any problems with fixing the boards.

Ruling your basecoat and getting it as cock on as possible is how I’ve always worked and then your top coat is better to work with. Even thickness everything pulls in better and gives a better job! Greeks and all those foreigners are basically still monkeys and caveman there playing catch-up :LOL:

Ruling your basecoat and getting it as cock on as possible is how I’ve always worked and then your top coat is better to work with. Even thickness everything pulls in better and gives a better job! Greeks and all those foreigners are basically still monkeys and caveman there playing catch-up :LOL:
Think different technique is alot down tonit f**k**g red hot as well

Back to the chuck it on style of rendering - what a fckng mess, then you scoop it up and either dump it or dry to get the rubbish to stick. Like how he chucks a load over the wall trying to put it on the top edge.

Had my asian client telling me how high the building standards were in India and how good the finishes were... shut up when I told her I'd worked on two sites with I****n teams straight off the bus, all finish but poor underneath, - but I liked their tea.

And they invented bum s*x...........so i was told :whistle:

That have definitely lost their way
Screenshot_20191021_165543.jpg

Back to the chuck it on style of rendering - what a fckng mess, then you scoop it up and either dump it or dry to get the rubbish to stick. Like how he chucks a load over the wall trying to put it on the top edge.

Had my asian client telling me how high the building standards were in India and how good the finishes were... shut up when I told her I'd worked on two sites with I****n teams straight off the bus, all finish but poor underneath, - but I liked their tea.

Actually the first coat is called here 'thrown' ,'chucked'. Usually all the coats are applied with a machine for new constructions, however the first coat is just sprayed. Nobody here finds a drawback to this.
Here is a product for the first coat Plaster
However most plasterers avoid ready mixes.
Here is an album from a plastering job here done by hand from "professionals" traditionally.
Base Coat applied

So the difference seems to be that you have to 'scratch' it but in the 'chuck' way you just throw it 'evenly' and leave it to dry.

Imagine how his back feels.

This is like asking, is it better to scoop your roast dinner up with a chapati instead of using the knife and fork. Both methods it ends up in the mouth.