Query on Wet Dash

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

castorsmith

I have a building which I intend to wet dash white and have black PVC windows, but I'm looking the render to have a smoother look than the average wet dash house, is this just a case of reducing the amount of chippings and maybe the size of chippings. If so can someone suggest a minumun ratio and minimum chip sizes that could be used?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cheers
Castor

the average size chip is about 6mm in wetdash. unfortunately you dont get smoother looking roughcast. hence the name roughcast. if you want smooth mate its a render your after.

Understand what you are saying, but I am after roughcast as its more hard-wearing, but am thinking that by reducing the amount of chips it would be less rough looking.

Rule the basecoat and devil float it up as good as you would internally then scratch it lightly . a flat true basecoat makes a huge difference

we rendered an estate of houses in suffolk with a type of light roughcast, slopdash.
lay on the rendercoat, leaving all trowel lines. then mix up a gauge of very wet render, load a water brush from the bucket and flick it on to the render. keep the blobs light so that it is easy to decorate.

4 buckets white chips ( 3mm to 8mm) 1 bucket white cement, 1 bucket white sand + half bucket of lime optional but it spreads and sticks better. Use only cementone waterproofer the best for wet dash! Not much! Strongly advise large mixer with the ratio in at least twice and mix for 20 minutes. Cover black windows as nightmare to wash.

I've found best results for rough dash is dash onto wet background have my own house done. With a hard background dash needs to be thicker which means heavier looking appearance.

Understand what you are saying, but I am after roughcast as its more hard-wearing, but am thinking that by reducing the amount of chips it would be less rough looking.

The only trouble with using smaller chips to make it seem flatter is you are more likely to see casting marks and from a distance it will look nasty, unless the guy doin it is on top of his game.
Why not get someone to do a tyrolean but heavier?

I have only ever seen it done with wet back ground. Very thin coat like skim nearly and the scratch coat soaked before hand.
motar mixed 5:1 as white cement is very strong compared to grey! Maybe a pinch of lime.
the company that makes k-rend do a good white sand.
grey dash is a lot cheaper and paint also an option. Pea gravel direct from quarry is very cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.