pva vs bondit/wba/gypbond etc

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont know enough about pva, but because its souble when wet, dosnt that mean that when plaster that is wet touches the pva that is dry, then becomes soluble, therefore bonding the plaster to the ceiling when both are dry ??????????????????????????????? :eek:

exactly! so - suction involved...wba as far as i know kills all suction...cant get my head round it...specially since gypsum recomend gypbond etc above pva...??

Its all about comfort zones, if it works for you its fine. I go back to the days before bonding agents exsisted and now I use both. Tend to use bonding agents if I need to seal the background ie on artex etc and pva on most others.

Old gadge that I started with always mixed pva at 6:1 and give it 3 coats but always put some in the 1st coat, when I asked him why he said that then you have pva sticking to pva. Never had any problems with this method at all, now in my 30th year and still use the same. Wait for the uproar from the manufacturers now LOL.

PS Wooden handle all the way!! Why because I always have. Thought process tells me that sweat/wet hands = moisture which aint got nowhere to go with plastic/rubber. Am I right? No idea but in the dark ages we used wood and I'm comfortable with it.

you find any difference gary? or does it pull in the same?
as for trowels.. im startin to put my preference not towards handles but blade..i find steel works best for me, specially well worn in...
that 'worn in' marshaltown i got was brand spanker, but i hated it, but it was stainless...
if i buy a new steel, doesnt seem to matter who makes it, shite handle or whatever, i seem to get on with it...
but then, handles dont make much of a difference to me, i got 10 bloody great segs on my trowel hand...hence bigsegs innit ;D

bloody complicated game this is...
missus climbed into bed now and shut the lights so im off too....
thanks lads, gnite
btw...try mixin red wine with coke...works a treat! ;D

You lot are all p***heads, oh thats right we're plasterers LOL

As for pulling in, tbh I dont find a great deal of difference, both products if apllied correctly seal the background and stop the suction but I do find that bonding agents stop the moisture from getting to the background. This is the reason I use it on artex, wet artex can if its not got a good adhesion to the background change its name to carpet. This is where you need to advise the customer that you have no control over the artex and that it can come away.

By the way I'm with you on carbon blades, hold their edge a lot better, steel (I read this bit somewhere) is stronger so lasts longer and before I got in to teaching I never had a blade go rusty on me. Always used to dry the blade off on my clothes and rust never appeared overnight.

Anyway lads off for a bottle of Stella or 2 now LOL

qypbond was designed for tilers to tile over tile and is good stuff to stick plaster to walls but ive done loads of reskims with pva and never had probs...........yet ::)

shall we up the stakes and move onto suction control on outside renders :-X

yes please nicksey, i normally just wet thermolite/durox blocks and if its a red hot day concrete too, i'm interested in what others do though, bout to open another bottle too! ;D

same here lads a good old soak even on concrete but here's one what would you do if you got asked to overrender a house with existing painted tyrolean finish?

needle gun??
old gaffer once told us to 'scabble up' a similar coating on this house...
so were waiting around for this needle gun...never appeared..
we ended up attacking it with one of them long claw estwing hammers! well the labourer did anyway...took him 1/2 a day to do 1 side..
prolly would have been easier to bounce a baby kango off it for a bit...

sppose another way would be to nail up some exmet sheets, give it a scratch, then give it a floater day after...

mix up an sbr and cement slurry, paint it on, leave for 3 days min. render as normal. ;)

If you get PVA on your hand and let it dry then put it under the tap it don't go tacky. So why would it behind plaster?

Just a thought.

Given the choice I'd use WBA everytime. It's Polymer based and forms a virtually impermeable barrier thus killing suction or more to the point evening it out. (try throwing some water at set WBA. It rolls off! Also in prep I find WBA can solve a multitude of problems as it bonds a lot of stuff and stabilises it.

but if times an issue and it's straight forward 2 coats of PVA let dry and then another and hit it when the labourer sticks to it when I throw him at it.
;D

Status
Not open for further replies.