pva ratio

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
this comes with exp really most spreads just mix it in a bucket untill there happy with the consistancey but if u do a 3-1 0r 4-1 you will be ok, some will say a 1-1 then a 5-1 and then skim but in all honesty your just wasteing time one good coat of 3-1 or 4-1 will see you right.

Yep , gps is bang on the money there - I was always taught never make it too strong a mix else it just creates a 'film' of pva that can in turn peel off , just like when you get it on your skin and peel it off - Give it 2 decent coats of 4:1 (let first dry) and you'll be laughing !

can i just add that a lot depends on what the wall is painted with... if its matt porous emulsion, 2 coats is prolly bang on, if its shiny silk youll only need 1, and a wet one at that, and sometimes none at all cos silk is a pretty good sealant in itself...
if you end up painting 2 coats of pva on a silk wall for gods sake let it dry properly or youll have all kinds of problems... sometimes, if you take all the suction out and hit it with multi it aint gonna wanna stick so use board finish for a better chance...
if its gloss paint i.e. absolutely sealed / no suction whatsoever either devil float it first to give you some suction back and a key or cover it with wba or gypbond night before you skim it...

Should be 1st coat 5:1 and 2nd coat 3:1

Exactly like i said someone will say two diffirent ratios, which is a load of s@@t, nobody gages the ratio exactly espicially to two diffirent ratios it really does make me laugh, all I ever do is put one good coat on of about 3-1 /4-1 I couldnt tell you exactly as i dont measure it, you will know if it needs anymore than one coat by touching it after ten minutes if its tacky go for it if its dry put another coat on but dont put two coats on just for the sake of it its not needed I repeat not needed.

Reactions: Mtd
has anyone ever used a little measuring jug or even SEEN anyone use a little measuring jug?? I only ask cos i cant think of any other way youd measure it out??
i usually just tip a good dollop into a large paint tray an add a bit of water...sometimes its wash out water from the wash out bucket...
then if i got any left over i tip it back in the pva tub...
next time its gonna be a bit thinner so i add less water...
sometimes its just about right when it comes out the tub (smells a bit though :D)

Looks like you'd be better using a bonding agent. 2 different ratios is just doing what it says on the tin and should ensure that you get a bit longer to work with your materials in my humble opinion of course.

I have been using PVA on ceilings again.....WBA is getting expensive and I am also tight

I do 2 coats @ 1 - 1 then 5 - 1 coat let to dry over night then skim straight on it the following day.... works a treat!

Dannny

i hear what your on about gary, the first wet one will soak into the wall and make sure the second one doesnt just skin up :D
ok as a guide, specially over porous surfaces, but we have to use our experience a lot of the time depending on what the background is like.. sometimes i just leave alone if its a small area and silk paint... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.