PVA and paint concern

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ky12

Hi ppl,

I'm helping a mate skim his bedroom.....I PVAd the ceiling (previously wallpapered over paint) tonight, and when it was drying I touched the ceiling to check the drying rate and the paint came off on my fingertip. With hardly any pressure....but not in all parts of the ceiling though.

What's going on? I'm concerned when I plaster it tomorrow, it will just fall off and not take.

Thsnks

You could be in for a nightmare . Try get it all scrapped of I had one a few weeks back same thing happend we scrapped it all back came down in sheets

Your concerns are justified. You now need to scrape all the loose paint or overboard.

I would overboard far far less chance of a problem in the future.
I pva'd a ceiling a few years ago over artex,and when I had the skimming on it started coming down in sheets,artex and all.Lesson learnt.Now I overboard as much as possible.

Cheers guys. I scraped it before PVA and it seemed solid, it only started playing up when I lashed the glue on. Is that typical of distemper dodgey paint?

Can I scrape it off tomorrow even after it's been PVAd?

It's only a small ceiling about 2x2ish with a curved edge on one side.

Had this happen a couple of times mate! (Nightmare). The Moisture of the Pva has made the paint live, it happens if the paint was not applied properly in the first place, and when you skim it all the paint will become live again and it will bubble in patches and just before troweling up it will all come down in sheets! Mess everywhere . Best thing to do is just over board it! Use the thin board mate!

Ahhh I'm with ya. What a frustration. I'm guessing there's no way of spotting this in paint before you get going either which adds to the frustration.

Cheers for the wisdom guys.

I'm guessing it's pointless just 'scraping the loose' as it will all become loose the longer the mix can hang on. Grrrrrrr lol

Just bite the bullet and board it out. As its only small it'll take less time to board than scape back.

It's all experience, artex can do this regardless of the paint on it.

As above I try to overboard as many ceilings as possible, removes the de lamination problems and less chance of cracking in the future.

Ahhh I'm with ya. What a frustration. I'm guessing there's no way of spotting this in paint before you get going either which adds to the frustration.

Cheers for the wisdom guys.

I'm guessing it's pointless just 'scraping the loose' as it will all become loose the longer the mix can hang on. Grrrrrrr lol

wet your hand and rub it on the ceiling. if there is a white stain on your hand it is distemper.
distemper/lime wash was used in properties built before 1960s.

Status
Not open for further replies.