problems with walls

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

neil4073

Hi all,
i am working on a room and have started encountering the plaster not bonding with a wall which i now think has been covered in the past with distempered paint.
Can any of you advise me please on how to stop this problem occuring ?

Many thanks
Neil

distempered paint is a cheap pre war paint before emulsion was introduced. Mainly used in servants quarters. It has extreme waterproof qualities and as far as i know it doesn't like plaster.

Ok mate .. well I have no experience with this kind of paint but At a guess you could use a bonding agent like thistle bond it , or over board the wall with fresh boards. without seeing it its a tough one.

Rich

Distemper is a term used to describe an old type of paint that was made out of powdered chalk. Once dry, it has a powdery surface so if you rub your hand over it you get a whitish/blue residue on your hands. PVA does not cure it, you need to seal it with a solution designed for the job. Or you can scrape it back.

If it's really bad then WBA/Bond-it will not stick to it either, unless you've either sealed it with the special solution, or scraped it back.

Im extreme cases it's often easier to take the wall right back to brick/stone and re-do from scratch rather than skim over the distemper - it can be a right pain in the a***!! (Obviously explaining the problem and passing all the cost onto the customer ;))

MFW said:
Distemper is a term used to describe an old type of paint that was made out of powdered chalk. Once dry, it has a powdery surface so if you rub your hand over it you get a whitish/blue residue on your hands. PVA does not cure it, you need to seal it with a solution designed for the job. Or you can scrape it back.

If it's really bad then WBA/Bond-it will not stick to it either, unless you've either sealed it with the special solution, or scraped it back.

Im extreme cases it's often easier to take the wall right back to brick/stone and re-do from scratch rather than skim over the distemper - it can be a right pain in the a***!! (Obviously explaining the problem and passing all the cost onto the customer ;))
spot on mate ;)

I'm drylining an old house at the moment. Wallpaper's been stripped (fell off) and there's distemper underneath. I've scraped all the loose distemper off, brushed it down and used Knauf Betokontakt on it. Tested a square of board with dabs, and it's sticking like crap to a blanket. Can't get the dabs off without destroying the plaster.

I've come across this sh*t hundreds of times , the only stuff that does the trick everytime is ALKALINE RESISTANT PAINT. you can get it from any good paint shop Brewers,Dulux,or Johnstone's.Just scrape any loose then with a cheap roller ,roll it on like normal paint,smells a bit so open the windows..Leave overnight then you can do what you want on top of it.

tophatter said:
I've come across this sh*t hundreds of times , the only stuff that does the trick everytime is ALKALINE RESISTANT PAINT. you can get it from any good paint shop Brewers,Dulux,or Johnstone's.Just scrape any loose then with a cheap roller ,roll it on like normal paint,smells a bit so open the windows..Leave overnight then you can do what you want on top of it.

would you still need to apply PVA prior to skimming then?

just been reading some information and says that stabilizing solution can be used on distemper.....

not sure about ALKALINE RESISTANT PAINT though.... even if i does work, it would cost a forture to seal a whole room with that stuff.

whenever i come across the old emulsion paint [distemper /whitewash] always used stabilising solution .just make sure its water based [sandtex do one]. And not solvent based which is for out side walls.or else you,ll be high as a kite.takes bout 4 hours to dry then apply pva or simlar

all i know is that everytime i have used ALKALINE RESISTANT it works every time without fail.........some of the other solutions i have tried and not always with success..but A/R works every time...

im not saying it dosn't work tophatter....... i just cant understand how u come about using it, as its not for binding powdery surfaces togther.

sorry mate didn't mean to a bite your face off...apologies.... my brother told me about it years ago he's been a spread for over 30 years i think he picked it up from when he was refurbishing all the old council houses in the villages around Luton.Will ask him when i see him next,but it is good stuff it even works when the disstemper is hiding behind artex.

Distemper and whitewash are 2 diffrerent things distemper being a nightmare you normaly have to get it totaly of the wall PVA wont work not sure about what has been suggested but if its stood the test of time cant be wrong.
Lucius.

Status
Not open for further replies.