Problems with new thistle uni finish

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re skimmed a small bathroom ceiling with thistle uni finish and a couple of days later it has completely shelled off,,not took at all...phoned bg and the rep is comin out to have alook... Any body else had any probs!!!!!!

im sure BG have now added conditions to the data sheet on unifinish since this thread started, they now say they cannot guarantee it working on unpainted textured ceilings. Also that it may not work on self cleaning paints,exterior grade paint or anti graffiti.
So now i wont be using it on ANY textured back ground cos im certainly not gonna take the risk.
But im sure the unpainted artex condition has only just been added.

Wonder if your bathroom ceiling gonna be blamed by BG for the type of paint? i.e. kitchen and bathroom paint.

im sure BG have now added conditions to the data sheet on unifinish since this thread started, they now say they cannot guarantee it working on unpainted textured ceilings. Also that it may not work on self cleaning paints,exterior grade paint or anti graffiti.
So now i wont be using it on ANY textured back ground cos im certainly not gonna take the risk.
But im sure the unpainted artex condition has only just been added.

Wonder if your bathroom ceiling gonna be blamed by BG for the type of paint? i.e. kitchen and bathroom paint.

Wouldn't be surprised if merchants get sent sheets of stickers to put on all uni-finish bags saying 'Please use PVA before using this product..'

I got a couple of freebie bags to try but to be honest I don't think I'll bother, it's goin down like lead balloon:-0

Hi lads,
After reading all your communication about Thistle uni finish I am at a point of never using it, I have stuck to multi for the last couple of months since uni finish came out safe in the knowledge that you know what its going to do when re-skimming,If youve got a big ceiling over artex and find the lot is coming away after a couple of days its not good.Anyone got any good points?

Don't go over artex with it, and if you're going over artexed ceilings it fkin serves you right :RpS_wink:

I grew them and teased them into the perfect shape over many years. Quite an accomplishment I'm sure you'll agree.

Last edited:
i have never seen such a work of art to be honest dan you did really well with them:RpS_thumbsup:

hi all im new to the forum .ive been a plasterer for 35 yrs now self employed 8yrs for an easier life ? just for starters i tried thistle uni for the first time today on a small artexed kitchen ceiling ,the first coat dried in very quickly /but as they say on the bag carry on with your 2nd coat .this dried also .i decided to sponge float it straight away then had to trowel off hard and fast ,and after only 2 passes it finished well but not without sweat hard work and mild panic .i dont rate it that much it finishes nice but with pva it stops suction and gives you time to trowel off .i also found during trowelling it would tear and dragg in places .it reminds me of the old carlite finish high suction background skim .which i bet would be easier to use ..

hi all im new to the forum .ive been a plasterer for 35 yrs now self employed 8yrs for an easier life ? just for starters i tried thistle uni for the first time today on a small artexed kitchen ceiling ,the first coat dried in very quickly /but as they say on the bag carry on with your 2nd coat .this dried also .i decided to sponge float it straight away then had to trowel off hard and fast ,and after only 2 passes it finished well but not without sweat hard work and mild panic .i dont rate it that much it finishes nice but with pva it stops suction and gives you time to trowel off .i also found during trowelling it would tear and dragg in places .it reminds me of the old carlite finish high suction background skim .which i bet would be easier to use ..

Good job it was only a small ceiling, you'll be back next week skimming it with multi.

have you seen artisans video of his unifinish ceilin shelling off, i think he sneezed as he walked in and it was enough to bring the lot down

So its safe to say pretend it was never invented and carry on as we have been for the last 25 years?

Hi sorry for jumping on your thread I have had the exact same problem only thing is we had a full hall stairs and landing dne using the new uni finish in a dental practice covering over artex . Got bg rep coming out to take samples wonder what there rep will say about it .trying to get the client to undrstand its not down to us its the materials provided by your company they are having none of it ill have to see what the rep says

Fair doos for giving it a go, I approach anything that isn't board finish like its a rabid dog. I had a hallway ceiling shell off once, it was old board that had been wallpapered over but never skimmed. Coz it was old I PVA'd it anyway but it all shelled off. Was well confused. Ended up scraping it off, PVA'd three times to make sure and then it was fine. Has baffled me to this day

the rep will blame the paint or the artex i guarantee you that all there saying is you need to do a test patch before hand.......sooooo you buy a more expensive material to save time like they have said it will.....buuuut you have to either do a test patch that day put a little bit on fark off come back to see if its worked if it has then you can do the work that you would have finished by now if you was using multi.....orrrr go there the night or day before and do the test, get everything out do a little patch leave it over night, go back the next morning to do the job realise it has not worked, go out and buy multi and pva and do the job properly, all the time you still have that open bag of expensive unifinish on the motor.:RpS_cursing:

Great vid Artisan. Can't believe any of you guys tried this stuff in the first place over Paint/Artex. As plasterers you should have known better.

Fair doos for giving it a go, I approach anything that isn't board finish like its a rabid dog. I had a hallway ceiling shell off once, it was old board that had been wallpapered over but never skimmed. Coz it was old I PVA'd it anyway but it all shelled off. Was well confused. Ended up scraping it off, PVA'd three times to make sure and then it was fine. Has baffled me to this day
possibly grease on the ceiling, even tar from heavy smoking has an effect and of course things we will never fathom..

possibly grease on the ceiling, even tar from heavy smoking has an effect and of course things we will never fathom..

I remember washing down a ceiling on a pub refurb when I was younger and the nicotene was unbelievably thick. I nearly puked when I realised what it was. Filth, pure filth :RpS_scared:

I had flats to plaster like that, ceilings and light fittings all gone yellow,if you pva the ceiling you have to wash it all off. Touch the doors or bannister rails and its sticky...turns my stomach

I'm starting a refurb next month, 17,000 m2 of re skimming over old walls, my firm have informed me that we are using uni finish, not feeling to confident after reading the above posts, on previous jobs we used thistle bond then multi and never had any issues,

I'm starting a refurb next month, 17,000 m2 of re skimming over old walls, my firm have informed me that we are using uni finish, not feeling to confident after reading the above posts, on previous jobs we used thistle bond then multi and never had any issues,
this will bring much needed glee on here Ben, best of luck to you and team, hope its not over paint or artex ....even the Bg videos make it look odd...

Did they get a few thousands bags real cheap?

I think there is a lot of false advertisement and prob not alot of difference between multi and uni finish perhaps you still need to use pva or thistle bondit. i reckon he will fob you off with how it is'nt really ment for that sort of reskim and you should be using thistle bondit or some thing similar . but let us know what he says mate ?!

images

Status
Not open for further replies.