Problems with new thistle uni finish

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
been using it last couple of days , on top of betterkontact( plumbing client got it off a job he was on),anyway the job i had to do for him was fcuking awkward and high ,got a few splashes on some finish work below,when it came to cleaning up the splashes came off really easy ,i know its not a lot to go on but 1st impressions i cant see it working.

Thats because it dont work.i had a phone call early in the year questionaire about a revolutionary plaster that needs no pva. i found the conversation amusing and kept saying to the chap it wont work too many variations of backgrounds, AND it dont work.

Dont trust the stuff , still apply PVA to avoid problems like this,only takes a few minutes.But it will be interesting to hear what BG have to say about this new super plaster..

The problem I see with it although I have not tried it is, when we pva, we always see how the wall/ceiling takes to the pva, does it such right in and look grey,(possibly distember or paint that needs peeling off, does it just hang there dripping wet. I once pva'd a ceiling with artex,it came off, underneath was paper ,it came off underneath distember, also off, all day for one silly ceiling..

The problem is that you dont know how its going to go until you are already into it and you think an hour and I can skim...How often do we go into a site and a customer says how much to do the job and you look around thing the place has been bombed. You try to be patient but the job is crazy, not wired up yet, old skirtings still on but coming off,steels to go in, joists to go in stairs to go in, paper to be stripped, ceilings may come down and be boarded, ball park figure they say....

When they say can i have a ball park figure i know they will shat there pants when i say impssible to tell but i,ll give you a day rate of £100. LOL ,it,s all a game,then they will get some numpty in for £50

The problem I see with it although I have not tried it is, when we pva, we always see how the wall/ceiling takes to the pva, does it such right in and look grey,(possibly distember or paint that needs peeling off, does it just hang there dripping wet. I once pva'd a ceiling with artex,it came off, underneath was paper ,it came off underneath distember, also off, all day for one silly ceiling..

Some good points there marra :RpS_thumbup:

Distempers hard to spot funny though when you lick the wall and you mumble 'des my dong look white' ?

just used uni finish last week for first time in bathroom ceiling wen dried lady painted it.all ok till she had shower then started coming off in sheets but she told me she used a dehumidefier to dry it out . do u think its that or not. thanks

P v a !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2 seconds work and could save you looking a fool.!!!!!!!.unless it was distemper (white wash).

Last edited:
Because both took the chance that this new scimming was the dogs b*ll***s and they didnt apply PVA or any other adhesive thats on the market, thats the pattern.(oh and possibly they shoud have washed the ceiling with suger soap).LOL

I emailed BG asking them these questions relating to adhesion on different backgrounds, they swerved answering.basically we must know the background before we plaster on to it,how do we know the background usually? we pva first and assess it.. its chicken and egg time

Thing is whatever goes wrong it wont be their product.boycott it. when it goes wrong its the tradesman that looks a twatt.never the materials to blame, they just think knob head dont know what he is doing. PVA all the way it aint broke so dont fix ir.

Thing is whatever goes wrong it wont be their product.boycott it. when it goes wrong its the tradesman that looks a twatt.never the materials to blame, they just think knob head dont know what he is doing. PVA all the way it aint broke so dont fix ir.

At fcukin last

boys iwent into travis perkins this morning bought 2 bags plaster good quality unibond[ unibond]done ceiling again told manager what happened he mate of mine he was not happy he phoned bg they phoned me back at 3.00 o clock this afternoon asked me wat id done tolld him exactly wat id done by the book his words was/ we have been having issues with this product if i email u my details send me headed paper and we will re emburse u money for work, materials .time the lot

bg rep came to see me and took some samples ov the shelled uni finish to give to the technical department and said they would get back to me.... he couldnt really give me a answer to why it happened cos its a new product, load ov b*ll***s really but learnt my lesson and wont use it again,, stick to wot i know so use at your own peril!!!!!!!!

Anyone getting little soft 'blisters' with it, from skimming over an emulsioned wall that's had the wallpaper removed. Just wondering if it's a reaction with tiny bits of wallpaper paste or something??

The blisters might be little patches bubbling under the paint, following paper removal the walls should be sugar soaped down or at a pva coat put on an scarped off removing all glue ,paper and loose paint..

Thinking i was a clever dick,i purchased 3 bags of uni finish a few weeks ago from my local ridgeons branch.After getting over the fact that ridgeons computer had messed up as normal and charged the rrp of 8.49 that is printed on the bag but vat was included on top of this,i thought i would give it a try..
job 1-small bathroom
I had a small bathroom,to make good the mess the builders made taking off tiles reskim walls and an artex ceiling.Finished the making good and thought lets try that uni finish.
2 bag set,
the ceiling moved,rippled and was a complete bitch to finish(only a simple stipple artex that i had plastered the kitchen ceiling with the normal methords only 2 weeks previous)
Anywhere that i had bonded to make good went off as quick as if on internal lime walls.On the painted areas not too bad,but feel it more than likely was on silk paint
Im waiting to hear if the lot falls off
job 2-simple reskim small bathroom ceiling
This job was due to extra pipework added for a shower in a bathroom.plumbers needed to make a hole for their pipes that ended up as a 2ft section out of the ceiling.
Small job over plastered ceiling,repaired the damaged section,taped up and tried uni finish once again.This was a small half bag set.
Well all the paint started peeling from the original plaster work in massive areas,so scraped the lot off,one coat pva and skimmed with multi,no problems that way.
All the promotions to claim a free bag.in my opinion they owe me for 3 bags because the stuff just ain't anything like what they are trying to promote it is.
i think thats my rant over

It is a pity because this stuff would of been ideal for private jobs, less mess, less cleaning of woodwork etc

Think I'll be giving it a big wide berth, keep looking at the pallet full in our merchents and wondering how long its going to be before they send it back.

Re skimmed a small bathroom ceiling with thistle uni finish and a couple of days later it has completely shelled off,,not took at all...phoned bg and the rep is comin out to have alook... Any body else had any probs!!!!!!

I wouldnt touch it with a long pole! one old good tried and tested method is better than a sack full of new ones as the saying goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.