Problem with skimmed wall peeling off when painting.

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iotrez

Hi all,

I recently skimmed a wall using thistle finishing plaster.

Now that I am painting the wall there is a problem with patches of plaster coming off with the roller.

I originally primed the wall with PVA/water mix before skimming it.

After skimming it I waited a few days for the plaster to dry properly and then mixed half water/half emulsion and painted it with that which was fine.

After waiting about an hour I painted another coat using 100% paint.

Its was then that plaster started coming off with the roller. Also I've noticed patches of plaster where there are bubbles, as if its not bonded properly to the underlying surface.

Could it be that I didn't give the first coat of paint long enough to dry?

Thanks.

Your filling your slacks in with what we would call fat which is plaster that has set and brought back to life, it doesn't set and turns to dust.

Your filling your slacks in with what we would call fat which is plaster that has set and brought back to life, it doesn't set and turns to dust.

The above or you didn't let your paint dry properly and it picked up when you were rolling over it with your 2nd coat

Ignore above, the plaster you put on was not properly adhered to the wall, this can be because the pva was not done properly, dust on the wall, grease on wall, or distemper or paint that was wrongly sealed before you plastered..

The above or you didn't let your paint dry properly and it picked up when you were rolling over it with your 2nd coat

After I'd put on the plaster and smoothed it, there were a few areas which needed building up slightly or where there were divots. I filled some of these with surplus plaster left on my hawk which had maybe started to go off a bit. So maybe at that stage I should have mixed some fresh plaster instead.

I guess I'll PVA the affected areas and then fix them up with new plaster.

I'm using a mix of 1 part pva to 4 parts water.

Cheers.

well said asif i get fed wiih so called spreads saying got trouble with pva gear falling off if u know what u r doing u should have know trouble doing ur job.ps. done a job this weekend bedroom ceiling walls all pva gave it 1hour poked it peeled off gave it another half hour rock hard skimmed it looks the bollcocks :RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.