problem at work

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm

i been plastering for one year,i was tought when skimming to appie 1 coat even, i spread on the wall moveing trowel over it 2 or3 times geting it flat and even so theres know where for air to hide,total coverage, applie second coat in same way then leave it then flaten thats my wall done,add splash of water trowel up to a smooth finish.The Plasterer iv been put with spreads 1 coat on wall in one movement half laping each spread its total coverage but it leaves loades of little holes.immidiatly he second coats in the same way apart from at the end he ll lightly run trowel along wall side to side, looks like the sea at high tide.he does not flaten it in cos it ripples stipple and bubbles to f*** when its started to go of he soaks the wall leaves it to soak in, then trowels the wall filling everthing with the fat produced which ends up quite thick and usable,but the finish is good i want to tell him were to go but i want the work and experience hes forcing his way on me have i been tought wrong it driven me mad my work was better and i felt more confident befor working with him

I would think from what you are saying that U KNOW he's a bit shoddy in using this method.
Finish plaster:

Boardy or Multi should be applied in TWO THIN COATS THE FIRST COAT SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO HAZEL OFF (RESIST FINGER TIP PRESSURE) BEFORE SECOND LIGHTER COAT IS APPLIED THIS SHOULD THEN BE TROWELLED 2-4 TIMES TO A SMOOTH FLAT SURFACE USING A LITTLE WATER TO LUBRICATE TROWEL.

This must be one of the most contentious subjects on this forum, and I bet a few will disagree but there it is Amen ;D

ive always done both coats straight after each other and my finishin is good we are all taught different but if your way is best for you then dont change

i to some times put first and secound coat on straight away depending on back grond but thats not my issue its the way he puts it on no matter what coat. i try to keep it even, moving trowel back over what i have spread on. he spreads one trowel motion next to each half over laping each.don t get me wrong i dont bother about any trowel lines but these are waves,he makes the mixes very thick which adds to it please tell me what technique do you all use when applieing coats

Like ah said Its a bit contentious but I was taught to put on two coats straight after one another!! Never got on with it walls were smooth and polished but uneven. Pegg and Staggs The Plastering Encyclopaedia states that 3 coats should be applied to get a flat smooth even surface. If you can achieve flat smooth even surfaces by your method then you have my respect.

Hmmm, using the same mix to first and second coat I personally only do if there is a loto of suction on the wall but if its 3 oclock on site I first and 2nd in same gear.

each to there own.

Danny

aslong as the first coats firmed up put another coat on if not youre one coating .......and if you dont understand this post get yourself a job in creda putting washers on tumble dryer doors

on a flat wall maybe around beads it'll become fatty plaster shrinks when it dries and if you put the second coat on too soon it'll pull both coats in together ......unless youre doing one bucket sets all the time it does get tempting to put both coats on at the same time

yuk, I hate fat whether its on my walls or the laydeees.

one coating is a gash method and absolutely no point to it. Spunky is right the first coat does need to firm/have a skin when the 2nd coat is applied its only a tight coat to fill the hollows misses.

Danny

2 coats, 2 mixes, bloke you're workin with sounds a bit rough jim, stick to your guns and do it how you were taught.

Status
Not open for further replies.