Priice work

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think thats quite rare mate 20 to 30 is a modest business mark up across the board but not in this game, in this time, you are lucky to get 5% I compete against firms going in at cost or 1% profit just to keep going and staff busy. in the boom you could get 15% easy but I know for sure if i went in at 20-30 on the tenders I have here now on my desk we would get laughed at.

Fair play if you got clients that pay above 20% I wish i could get em that way HMRC wouldnt owe me thousands in overpaid cis tax

If you were subbing work out at only 5% markup,that doesn't leave much room for contingency and expected site hang ups. If your able to claim back costs from the MC as daywork, that's great, but more often than not they expect the subcontractor to allow for all eventualities and I don't see a 5% margin being adequate.

Each to their own I suppose and in an ultra competitive market the lowest margin will more than likely win these days, but I don't see the value at running jobs at break even or 1% profit just to keep men working- fair play to you for this, but there has to be something for the guy at the top, otherwise you might as well go subbing yourself!

If you were subbing work out at only 5% markup,that doesn't leave much room for contingency and expected site hang ups. If your able to claim back costs from the MC as daywork, that's great, but more often than not they expect the subcontractor to allow for all eventualities and I don't see a 5% margin being adequate.

Each to their own I suppose and in an ultra competitive market the lowest margin will more than likely win these days, but I don't see the value at running jobs at break even or 1% profit just to keep men working- fair play to you for this, but there has to be something for the guy at the top, otherwise you might as well go subbing yourself!

everything you said here is correct and I agree but its just the way it is and the risks people are taking.

there is nothing in the price for cokc ups if there is one you prob lose money on the job and as for going in at cost or a tad more Its nonsense to me - half of the commercial tenders I get sent in the last two years get thrown in the bin because I would sooner keep my money in the bank than risk losing a bit of it. I know a firm that were going in at cost in the start of the recession to mop up work hoping to stretch out the overdraft and come out the other side just existing thinking they would make it back when the good times returned haha - here we are 5 years on and still in the recession. plonkers

I was chatting to a lad last week that says he pays 3.50 to his lads, he's got 4 very good lads on not stacked out but keeps them ticking over to me it spoke volumes, at the moment the bigger firms are playing monopoly with each other let's see who can price the lowest lol.......wankers

I no its a s**t rate but having some work better then none as long as am earning paying the bills its ok.you can say i want more but your not going to get it! working for£500 to £800 aweek better then nothing i think some pepole are out of touch with rates at the min,i think most pepole would work for £6,50 or have no work at £10

now we had some dross weather are you still holding out at 6.50m2

I got offered £1.70 for skimming this week he reconned some guys makin £900 a week LOL then said most lads were happy coming out with 400/450 a week (fair play to them) I told him if there is no food on the table i will give you a call. Told me one firm was payin £1.20/1.50 i said yeh ok....................tossers. He must be desperate he rang me sayin did i work for them a year ago? I told him "no your rates were s**t". lol Then youve got the 5% retention and 2% CITB I told him ive never seen a retention back in my life and thats not coz im ruff you just dont see it, the only time ive ever known how much retention has been payed by a subby was when a firm went bust and my mates got a letter from the administrators telling him how much they were owed. 4 years later he is workin for the same firm and still payin a retention he will never see biggest con goin, robbin bastards.

I dont know whether I find it Hilarious or completely r******d that all the big firms prob know people need work so they decide what to pay and theres some proper desperate knob rots that a work for nothing!
Yet why cant all us small fishes do what they do and say sod it were not working for less than x amount!
If we done this what could they do!
But in reality it will never happen cuz theres to many chancers who just want some dosh and its dog eat dog!
Human instinct I guess!
If your good at what you do why lower yourself!!!!
Surely if you doubt yourself your in the wrong game in the first place!!!

Slate me or hate me its true an you know it!

It was mono for £6.50

we recently turned down £11 quid as a principal contractor, for some new builds around 1800m2
as I couldnt really make it pay, plus because we are busy anyhow.went past last week, it had been done and looked terrible full of misses and halos, water marks where they hadnt put the temporary stacks back up :RpS_laugh:

but theres some desperados about.

I dont know whether I find it Hilarious or completely r******d that all the big firms prob know people need work so they decide what to pay and theres some proper desperate knob rots that a work for nothing!
Yet why cant all us small fishes do what they do and say sod it were not working for less than x amount!
If we done this what could they do!
But in reality it will never happen cuz theres to many chancers who just want some dosh and its dog eat dog!
Human instinct I guess!
If your good at what you do why lower yourself!!!!
Surely if you doubt yourself your in the wrong game in the first place!!!

Slate me or hate me its true an you know it!

its an empty argument you make, its basic supply and demand
firms that are offering low rates and lads scrambling around for the work, with the firms creaming off big chunks, or the applicators/plasterers that need to put food on the table, thus having to work for that.
theres still money at the top end, its just that the outfits arnt passing on that rate to lads on the ground, due to not having to.

New build I'm doing outside on, the guy skimming inside's getting £5 walls, £6m2 ceilings 5 mins from his house. That's direct to the owner on a private job though. I'm getting what I want from it too. There's still money in plastering if you cut out the middle man

Is this all based on site work and a decent area to go at? My jobs are all private and usually base coat and top coat. I did have a subby who was self equipped labour only and wanted £15m2 for mono and £5 a m2 for rend-aid based on a gross area to cover the cost of beading up. Didn't get the job in the end and it was about 2009 but at the time I thought fair enough. Supplying a van fully equipped and the man was good.

you get what you pay for as with anything.
Fully equipped, conscientious,reliable, waits for his money,looks after everything from start to finish = Good rate
Half a bag of tools,thinks he does 100 m2 every day,works half days and has monday off cause hes still pissed = Poor rate

New build I'm doing outside on, the guy skimming inside's getting £5 walls, £6m2 ceilings 5 mins from his house. That's direct to the owner on a private job though. I'm getting what I want from it too. There's still money in plastering if you cut out the middle man

very true

Status
Not open for further replies.