Price increase for all!! horah!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

timeservedspread

Rumour has it there is about to be a boom in construction and you lot are gonna be reaping the rewards?
Unfortunately your not!
Why? I hear you ask,
let me explain.
Example:
5 years ago a lady was paying 30.00 for her nails at a beauty salon but a new salon opened and advertised nails for 20.00 then an other salon advertised 15.00?
Then all 3 salons realised it was impossible to increase prices again!
Now they are stuck with a set price because of there own stupidity, does my example ring any bells?
Anyone doing domestic plastering and thinking they can increase prices is welcome to give it a go, forget it.
Plasterers have no governing body who will step in and say enough is enough, because the trade is full of amateurs.
I've been in this game a quarter century and I know what I'm talking about.
This situation has been created by a new growth industry called "plastering course centre's" this is the end result of these chancers training chancers and flooding the market with chancers!!!
The only guys that will shout me down will be the short cut course chancers?
I really couldn't give a **** what you clowns have to say which is why I never respond to anything they say.
Any of you lot that "got into" spreading as a get rich quick gimmick are in for a nasty shock, few years down the line when your hands and shoulders and knees don't work properly and hurt like hell, you'll try and increase your rates because plastering has took a toll on your health and you deserve more money.
Guess what?
Your gonna realise you can't because golden balls plastering course is still churning out chancers!
This trade is fried and you can thank the very same people who promised you an earning potential of a few grand a week, sad but very very true my deluded friends.

Back in my day you did apprenticeships. I was 4 years and went to College for 3 to attain City & Guilds. When I went into the big wide world you applied for jobs and they asked who had you served your time with and are you qualified?

Don't get me wrong, I was fortunate enough to have done a proper apprenticeship. Solid plastering, fibrous, floor screeding and rendering. But the local Council turned out some lads that only worked at maintenance depots and did patching. No site experience at all. They failed dismally when they left the Council. But that was it, they had to be fully experienced to survive. Proper plastering contractors had proper plasterers.

Now no apprenticeships as such. NVQ's can be obtained easy. I had my spread obtain one two years ago and all he had to do to get was have his photo took skimming a wall. He has never done any plastering at all yet got an NVQ in plastering! He now has chose to live in a benefit Street near me as the money is better.

For me get back the apprenticeships, proper college obtained NVQ's and paye. Be a member of a trade union (yuk!) at least the unions set a minimum tradesman's wage even if you was on price. The whole trade as gone backwards.

When I was a lad we went to work on a horse and plastered caves.only joke in I think these rough non time served should be shot.

Time served nice post !bit of bitterness there I detect dont look back in anger move forward youll always earn a crust !

haven't you done several of these types of posts now timeservedspread? You sound really bitter. Perhaps it's time you retired if you hate it all that much or perhaps go and do something you do enjoy. Or maybe you just need to adapt to the times. My rates are only going one way and well above inflation as well and still manage to keep the diary full. Perhaps its down to my persona as well as what I can do with a trowel. People buy into positivity, perhaps you should remember that next time you're standing in someones lounge pissing and moaning about how it used to be

Maybe in your neck of the woods what you say May be true. But where I am and clients I work with around London the opposite is true, last year was my best year since starting out ten years ago and I'm track to beat it again this financial year.

People always seek out proper tradesmen for their own properties,their projects, expensive refurbishments, if this wasn't the case a lot of us would be out of work, I couldn't compete with most on price or on metre rates not by a mile but I am generally busy which kills your argument dead, we are not nail technicians working in a line, no two spreads are the same,there are some great guys on here from all over and they have skills ,attitudes,business acumen that will always hold them instead, if a courser puts you out of work then either the work was not worth the bother or you are not. Ps lots of guys on here with skills I would love to have

My mate got in a recommended roofer, told he was top class etc, cost 7k to date to fix the experts work,, it's the same with plastering, no one wants bad workmanship , it's like giving out your pin and your card and saying take my dish, a bad spread can ruin a property like a hurricane

I see what has been said above and respect that , but it has always been the same over the years , recession , governments ,immigrants ,guys on the dole ,fireman ,tape and joint ect ,but if you are good at what you do and respect people around you , then the work will be there IMO , and a bit of luck on the way , so heads up guys .......just keep on swimming :RpS_thumbup:

I said it a couple years back on this forum....
The closest thing we have to a union body is this forum.

All our voices are here. There must be countless countless threads now about spreads getting the shizz deal.

No body else will do anything for us. You have to do it yourselves.

I know we could really have something but how the hell to go about it I don't know.

The problem is the term 'plasterer' what exactly is a plasterer? I have some of the skills of a plasterer, I can render(old style) I can float and set internally sand and cement or hardwall etc, I can skim new and old works,I can do damp proofing,tanking etc, concreting ,screeding ( not a lot of it nowadays though) I can cove and fit simple corniche, I can do a full refurb from gutting out, pulling down,refitting ceilings etc, this qualities have generally been enough for me but yes I wish I was a mould and stucco expert, knew the new renders and machine work, polished plastering etc, but I have enough to pay my way and can hire in other plasterers with other skills, I thinking have at least the minimum skills to call myself a plasterer

Rumour has it there is about to be a boom in construction and you lot are gonna be reaping the rewards?
Unfortunately your not!
Why? I hear you ask,
let me explain.
Example:
5 years ago a lady was paying 30.00 for her nails at a beauty salon but a new salon opened and advertised nails for 20.00 then an other salon advertised 15.00?
Then all 3 salons realised it was impossible to increase prices again!
Now they are stuck with a set price because of there own stupidity, does my example ring any bells?
Anyone doing domestic plastering and thinking they can increase prices is welcome to give it a go, forget it.
Plasterers have no governing body who will step in and say enough is enough, because the trade is full of amateurs.
I've been in this game a quarter century and I know what I'm talking about.
This situation has been created by a new growth industry called "plastering course centre's" this is the end result of these chancers training chancers and flooding the market with chancers!!!
The only guys that will shout me down will be the short cut course chancers?
I really couldn't give a **** what you clowns have to say which is why I never respond to anything they say.
Any of you lot that "got into" spreading as a get rich quick gimmick are in for a nasty shock, few years down the line when your hands and shoulders and knees don't work properly and hurt like hell, you'll try and increase your rates because plastering has took a toll on your health and you deserve more money.
Guess what?
Your gonna realise you can't because golden balls plastering course is still churning out chancers!
This trade is fried and you can thank the very same people who promised you an earning potential of a few grand a week, sad but very very true my deluded friends.

Agree 100% these ******* learning centres are so bad every f**k*r thinks they are a plasterer!

Four day wonders everywhere with new vans callin themselves spreads it's a joke , let em **** it up we'll put it right . Ha ha 30 years me

lads i went to college with didnt do any plastering other than when they went to college but tutors still passed all the T***s tho qualifications means **** all nowadays the standard is F*****g embarassing

You can't beat bein hands on can ye that's where you get the experience and learn as you go along different situations and all that .

Alfie was a big softy, only claim to fame was a little kick and it was his other leg that put him out, city doing well now, united have been dropping off for years, couldn't believe they kept winning when they were so weak

Status
Not open for further replies.