price for site work

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know is the prices on sites are shiiiiit ! I've only just started back and I'm fuucked for shiiiit money really for what I'm putting on!

Starting site work for the first time and have been asked for sqm price just wanted them know how you go about pricing for window returns and what is the going rate dot dab and skim northwest thanks

Going back to the original thread,do you live in the northwest?if so are you a plasterer yourself?
How do you not know how much to charge? You should know what to charge pal.

be prepared for a shock mike,, different ball game altogether trying to earn a wage on site,,,

I've a job at the minute, a big private where I'm struggling to get the final payment. There making out now I've ripped them off as they have worked out how long it took and guesstimated the material cost and found it's more than what other plasterers are charging for a days work. If it's not been paid by Friday the house is getting smashed to bits

I really hope you can get what your owed on this job. This seems to be happening far too often when a customer states "well these lads work for this amount a day so can you match it" You were on a price and it was accepted. You obviously worked bloody hard to get it done and should be paid. I agree that the customer has probably heard that some other lad charge this amount a day but little do they know that they put on 3 bags all day and are as rough as feck. The old saying if you pay peanuts you get monkeys .The are some absolute class plasterers in this country and im sure you are one of them that keep getting the knocks from a customer about a price because they have been told about the chancer who works for chocolate buttons. It just drives me mad . As all us plasterers have our set day rate that I wont change for any customer who asks me to. Its pretty simple that the fact is when we give a price we work as hard and fast as we can to get the job done without affecting the quality of our work. On a day rate you put in the same quality of work but when you get home it does not feel like your arm is about to fall off. Prices really should not be discussed on an open forum as other members have stated. Areas of the uk have different rates and that's a fact. If I wrote on here I earn this a metre where I live and struggle to pay the bills every month, then Sid stated he earns 3 times that amount a month. All it will achieve is a slanging match between plasterers and there is enough of that on here at times already.. If all else fails just think to yourself what would Jebus do

I've a job at the minute, a big private where I'm struggling to get the final payment. There making out now I've ripped them off as they have worked out how long it took and guesstimated the material cost and found it's more than what other plasterers are charging for a days work. If it's not been paid by Friday the house is getting smashed to bits

collecting the final payment can be the most difficult. as you have now finished the work you are no longer a priority. you should try to make your final payment small.
the customer had the opportunity to employ a cheaper plasterer before they agreed to your quotation, but they do not know how much another plasterer would produce or the quality of the work for the lower price.

Starting site work for the first time and have been asked for sqm price just wanted them know how you go about pricing for window returns and what is the going rate dot dab and skim northwest thanks

employ a local quantity surveyor to price the work for you, the costing is the most important part of the job.

employ a local quantity surveyor to price the work for you, the costing is the most important part of the job.

I agree with malc, I have used a local qs to price jobs for me. He is employed for a big firm so its a little bonus for him. He gives me a full breakdown of the whole job, looks professional as well

I agree with malc, I have used a local qs to price jobs for me. He is employed for a big firm so its a little bonus for him. He gives me a full breakdown of the whole job, looks professional as well

Gets expensive though doesn't it? My builder mate gets charged a couple of k albeit could be a few 100k..

How much your QS bud?

Gets expensive though doesn't it? My builder mate gets charged a couple of k albeit could be a few 100k..

How much your QS bud?

I havent used him for a while, the last job he priced for us was just under 30k and he charged me £150 for that. He told me only pay him if we got the job and when we got first payment. He owned up later that he did it over 2 lunch breaks at the office. we got the job.

I havent used him for a while, the last job he priced for us was just under 30k and he charged me £150 for that. He told me only pay him if we got the job and when we got first payment. He owned up later that he did it over 2 lunch breaks at the office. we got the job.

Kinhell that's good, has he any mates in the northwest? :RpS_thumbup:

How much your QS bud?

ask the qs for a price to do your quotes for you. most local qs know each other so he should have a few mates that can push work in your direction at a good rate.

ask the qs for a price to do your quotes for you. most local qs know each other so he should have a few mates that can push work in your direction at a good rate.

Right of course another root to bigger jobs :)..

Cheers Malc and Oli again leant some useful insider info

I really hope you can get what your owed on this job. This seems to be happening far too often when a customer states "well these lads work for this amount a day so can you match it" You were on a price and it was accepted. You obviously worked bloody hard to get it done and should be paid. I agree that the customer has probably heard that some other lad charge this amount a day but little do they know that they put on 3 bags all day and are as rough as feck. The old saying if you pay peanuts you get monkeys .The are some absolute class plasterers in this country and im sure you are one of them that keep getting the knocks from a customer about a price because they have been told about the chancer who works for chocolate buttons. It just drives me mad . As all us plasterers have our set day rate that I wont change for any customer who asks me to. Its pretty simple that the fact is when we give a price we work as hard and fast as we can to get the job done without affecting the quality of our work. On a day rate you put in the same quality of work but when you get home it does not feel like your arm is about to fall off. Prices really should not be discussed on an open forum as other members have stated. Areas of the uk have different rates and that's a fact. If I wrote on here I earn this a metre where I live and struggle to pay the bills every month, then Sid stated he earns 3 times that amount a month. All it will achieve is a slanging match between plasterers and there is enough of that on here at times already.. If all else fails just think to yourself what would Jebus do
surely if people are rough on new builds they should get chucked off

Right of course another root to bigger jobs :)..

Cheers Malc and Oli again leant some useful insider info

If you want to get into bigger work then architects and quantity surveyors are a great source. Google those 2 professions in your area and you will find anything (depending on your catchment) 50/100/150 names and addresses. Send them all a letter email tweet friend request ..whatever. what's the harm in trying. Some (careful what you say here Oli) QS are a little corrupt and will tell people prices that they have already submitted for someone else.........so I've heard. Architects will let you know of upcoming developments ...although all this info is available through building control. Planning applications is another good source of info, readily available online or through your local council office.

If you want to get into bigger work then architects and quantity surveyors are a great source. Google those 2 professions in your area and you will find anything (depending on your catchment) 50/100/150 names and addresses. Send them all a letter email tweet friend request ..whatever. what's the harm in trying. Some (careful what you say here Oli) QS are a little corrupt and will tell people prices that they have already submitted for someone else.........so I've heard. Architects will let you know of upcoming developments ...although all this info is available through building control. Planning applications is another good source of info, readily available online or through your local council office.

Yeah need to invest a bit more time on FB, twitter and LinkedIn got accounts on all of them but haven't updated them in ages and my linkedin profile is a bit sparse to say the least lol..

From time to time I will send out a group message on LinkedIn to various people ie architects, QS's, builders etc,explaining what we do bla bla bla have had a few responses but again may be put off due to my none existent profile

Yeah it's defo a well known fact that QSs let there closest business associates look at previous tenders

I hate QS's with a passion. Their job is basically to screw you down to bare minimum. The more they save the better they are. In the eyes of their employer that is.

Last edited:
Yeah need to invest a bit more time on FB, twitter and LinkedIn got accounts on all of them but haven't updated them in ages and my linkedin profile is a bit sparse to say the least lol..

From time to time I will send out a group message on LinkedIn to various people ie architects, QS's, builders etc,explaining what we do bla bla bla have had a few responses but again may be put off due to my none existent profile

Yeah it's defo a well known fact that QSs let there closest business associates look at previous tenders

A good friend of mine who was very successful in sales gave me lots of good sales advice. He told me never think people will be offended by seeing an advert twice, if you have tried something and it didn't give a response try it again and again

How's the PAS 2030 going?

How's the PAS 2030 going?

Haha it's not, did a course with Alumasc which will account towards the NVQ in EWI, then I think you need to do so many jobs etc, then you can get approved probably a few things I've miss there but somewhere along them lines..

It's hard to keep motivated and pushing with these things when I'm busy just don't get the time between work and kids and misses wanted some attention lol

Need to take a leaf out of Olis book and just keep pushing regardless of the work load

Haha it's not, did a course with Alumasc which will account towards the NVQ in EWI, then I think you need to do so many jobs etc, then you can get approved probably a few things I've miss there but somewhere along them lines..

It's hard to keep motivated and pushing with these things when I'm busy just don't get the time between work and kids and misses wanted some attention lol

Need to take a leaf out of Olis book and just keep pushing regardless of the work load

Good effort though mate. Your a step ahead of me I've not even bothered trying to get it. Like Roy Castle used to say.

http://youtu.be/6jzWRYr-b_Y

Charge whatever you think the job is worth and when the customer has agreed get your invoice signed by them before you do any work or buy materials, with this get a payment plan signed by them and dates of payment when work has been satisfactory completed. As you progress through the job take pictures of all your work as this will prevent any comebacks they want to throw at you and helps build your portfolio. Then no one can complain about how much you have earnt and if they try to delay or refuse payment you have necessary paperwork to back you up so it won't turn into a issue. As for qs's I use 1 guy from London who charges £200 for every job I get but as long as the jobs are completed on time and without any problems I know I have the next 1 without any bother. Plus like what's been said before all these qs's and architects know each other so it's a good way to get your name out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.