Practicing Plastering at home?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee23

I'm still currently looking for an opportunity to get into plastering. But not having much luck at the moment. I love plastering and I want to learn so badly. I've been thinking of putting up a temporary wall with sheets of plasterboard and and pretty much just practice whenever I can. Just so I can at least grasp the basics until I hopefully get in with a spread who wants to teach me properly. Anyone reckon this is a good idea or not?
Cheers guys.

I'm still currently looking for an opportunity to get into plastering. But not having much luck at the moment. I love plastering and I want to learn so badly. I've been thinking of putting up a temporary wall with sheets of plasterboard and and pretty much just practice whenever I can. Just so I can at least grasp the basics until I hopefully get in with a spread who wants to teach me properly. Anyone reckon this is a good idea or not?
Cheers guys.

Practicing cannot hurt :)

You can reskim those walls numerous times as well :)

you can also practise hod carrier, running up and down stairs with a muck hod on your shoulder all evening !

I was advised recently as I need to bring my skimming along (still not quite up to scratch) to create a 6x4 floor and build and board out well whatever I feel like really (pillars, reveals, windows, door frames) and bead and skim it over and over and I think its a damn good idea. Got a big front room that I'm using to do walls and this practice area.

You would be better making something really awkward inside a greenhouse and float and skim it out in the middle of the summer lol that will get you up to scratch:RpS_biggrin:

Cheers guys.

If you want it enough offer yourself to some local spreads for free. Beats paying out for a short course!

I'm training to get my private pilots licence so I've set up a kind of trapeze in my H/S/L to practice my gliding, wish I had a big circus type tent

Should do that Red Bull Blackpool challenge Irish - you build a pair of wings and off the Pier...maybe not at this time of year!

Best way to learn for me is labour to spreads learn the basics mixing and leaning buckets its boring and very manual but you need the basics first, then any chance you get watch and keep watching the spreads how they do it. If they have a spot board when you clean excess off use and hawk and trowel scrape onto your hawk then scrape into a bag that will get your rhythm and ability up in getting the skim off the hawk then go home and practise on walls.. Thats how i learnt my trade

My old man wouldn't let me touch a wall I was the "reveal man"and "awkward tiny cupboard man" that's how you learn doing all the jobs were movement is awkward and restricted then when you get on the bigger walls you become faster and things get easier as the years go by then you get to your early 30s-40s then your body starts letting you down cos you've worked like a **** then if you ever reach retirement age which is unlikely you will probably be laid up like a cabbage weesing away cos of all the dust you've breathed in then probably die around 70ish!! But we love it yeah!:RpS_thumbsup:

My old man wouldn't let me touch a wall I was the "reveal man"and "awkward tiny cupboard man" that's how you learn doing all the jobs were movement is awkward and restricted then when you get on the bigger walls you become faster and things get easier as the years go by then you get to your early 30s-40s then your body starts letting you down cos you've worked like a **** then if you ever reach retirement age which is unlikely you will probably be laid up like a cabbage weesing away cos of all the dust you've breathed in then probably die around 70ish!! But we love it yeah!:RpS_thumbsup:

We called them 'bunks' ............. great for learning how to use a twitcher :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.