Polished walls

Plaz38

What has happened to this skilled trad,flexi ths spat that,sponge everything.
Flat and matt with clean edges and all lines,boxes square cutout.
Most plasterers new to this trade ( 10 yrs and under)would fail against the so called older spreads who can do it all inside and out.
This trade needs to be as it has always been,hard work with a smart system.(TRUE)

Very true. I was abit short of work last year, had a gap of about a week so to fill the week I went with a big plastering firm in the south east which big new build sites and pay shocking metre rates. Half the people on there never done an outside, some couldn’t float, some were even called “skimmers” for Christ sake. Dirty windows, no boxes cut out, snorts on the skirting line just shocking. 90% don’t do floors or coving either

What has happened to this skilled trad,flexi ths spat that,sponge everything.
Flat and matt with clean edges and all lines,boxes square cutout.
Most plasterers new to this trade ( 10 yrs and under)would fail against the so called older spreads who can do it all inside and out.
This trade needs to be as it has always been,hard work with a smart system.(TRUE)
As I'm sure you're fully aware the trade had been dismembered over the years into its individual disciplines.
Add the fact that hardly anyone comes into the trade via the traditional labouring route, learning at a steady pace off experienced tradesmen, the death of float and set, the advent of short courses promising the earth and methods that skimp on correct methods and procedures and the trade is never going to be what it was.

As I'm sure you're fully aware the trade had been dismembered over the years into its individual disciplines.
Add the fact that hardly anyone comes into the trade via the traditional labouring route, learning at a steady pace off experienced tradesmen, the death of float and set, the advent of short courses promising the earth and methods that skimp on correct methods and procedures and the trade is never going to be what it was.
And I totally agree well put

trades awash now with chancing, coursing, instagramming, youtubing, tiktokking ego-wankers

aint that right spuddy?

Andy,your comments are the truth this trade needs .

The youth have changed also don't want to Labour for a year or two and learn from the experienced lads. Can always tell the difference in the lad that laboured and learned the trade and the know it all cxxt that was spoilt

Thats what happens when government and the likes of cits get involved !! Time served leave a college waller standing !
Not many lads follow there dads in to the trade though now !

It's all about speed now. We now have liquid screed where you can set up a few tripods to get levels and pump screed in which is just pushed around to form a smooth and flat screed. no skill involved. Also BG have just brought out a fast set finish in a bag! ready mixed, no skill in calculating a few handfuls of cement or dirty water, unbelievable. Don't even get me started on what I have seen with beads and actual sticky tape. In my day we had a stick, a tin bath and a rusty old trowel. Don't know there're born these kids today. Bring back jute scrim and the Birch.

Right on Tapit.
Spot& stand,mixer with 25 tonne sand,bags of cement,fairy liquid crack on with the internal render.Oh and my hod.
Scrim with hessian cloth with wet mix plaster ect ect

It's all about speed now. We now have liquid screed where you can set up a few tripods to get levels and pump screed in which is just pushed around to form a smooth and flat screed. no skill involved. Also BG have just brought out a fast set finish in a bag! ready mixed, no skill in calculating a few handfuls of cement or dirty water, unbelievable. Don't even get me started on what I have seen with beads and actual sticky tape. In my day we had a stick, a tin bath and a rusty old trowel. Don't know there're born these kids today. Bring back jute scrim and the Birch.
So the world evolves and plastering shouldn’t? Is that what you’re saying? :ROFLMAO:
Should we all get a triangular wheelbarrow out next time a floor gets screeded? Or should we just stick to nails, staples or a bit of multi to stick up skim beads instead of a sticky tape with a few holes in it?