Please help - why is my ceiling like this?

Members online

kb1988

Hi all, I’m hoping for some advice please.
Around October 2020 we had our lounge ceiling plastered. It was Artex/popcorn ceiling.
I wasn’t present during much of the two days the work was done but from what I gather the guy put the plaster directly over the Artex. I think I’m right in saying that often the Artex is scraped off before the ceiling is plastered, but I don’t think this happened.
We weren’t happy with the job initially. He hadn’t gone to the edges in all places and it looked quite uneven in places too. We contacted him before paying and he did come out and sort it out to the best of his ability. We waited a week before painting it, after it looked fully dry.
Now, even 6 months later, the ceiling has a really ‘cloudy’ look to it. It almost looks like it’s only had one coat of paint, but it’s had 4. Can anyone explain why this may be and what on earth we do to rectify it? A friend, who isn’t a plastering expert but knows a little bit, said that he thinks the guy has layered so much plaster on that it’s not actually fully dry. The room is flooded with natural light and whilst you can’t see the ‘cloudy’ look from certain angles, you can when you walk through the door. I’ve attached photos. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Attachments

• BA7CB6F5-5543-4ED8-933F-3D92AB041400.jpeg
    BA7CB6F5-5543-4ED8-933F-3D92AB041400.jpeg
    988.4 KB · Views: 463
  • 361950C5-AFF3-4907-BEAE-61F9E4ADE289.jpeg
    361950C5-AFF3-4907-BEAE-61F9E4ADE289.jpeg
    995.3 KB · Views: 442
  • 648BF235-0892-44B4-9CB2-2A39241F4048.jpeg
    648BF235-0892-44B4-9CB2-2A39241F4048.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 414
  • 431D34DC-CE63-4375-831A-7595AD8E4FAC.jpeg
    431D34DC-CE63-4375-831A-7595AD8E4FAC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 484
Around October 2020 we had our lounge ceiling plastered. It was Artex/popcorn ceiling.
I wasn’t present during much of the two days the work was done but from what I gather the guy put the plaster directly over the Artex. I think I’m right in saying that often the Artex is scraped off before the ceiling is plastered, but I don’t think this happened.
We weren’t happy with the job initially. He hadn’t gone to the edges in all places and it looked quite uneven in places too. We contacted him before paying and he did come out and sort it out to the best of his ability. We waited a week before painting it, after it looked fully dry.
Now, even 6 months later, the ceiling has a really ‘cloudy’ look to it. It almost looks like it’s only had one coat of paint, but it’s had 4. Can anyone explain why this may be and what on earth we do to rectify it? A friend, who isn’t a plastering expert but knows a little bit, said that he thinks the guy has layered so much plaster on that it’s not actually fully dry. The room is flooded with natural light and whilst you can’t see the ‘cloudy’ look from certain angles, you can when you walk through the door. I’ve attached photos. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
did your spread arrive in this van?

if so, you've been Caspered

casper van.jpg

Hi. If he came back to fix bits you weren’t happy with it might be pva you’re seeing. I’d give it another coat or two or three of paint. Hope you primed it too before painting

and your friend is incorrect

hope that helps!

Your friend is wrong its dry.
Did your plasterer use a white filler to fix the imperfections?

Thanks to those who’ve offered helpful responses.
It was primed before painting. He fixed most of the bits we weren’t happy with with plaster, and a few bits with filler I think. Would this be part of the problem?
I didn’t think ceilings needed more than about 3 coats of paint?!

Buy a decent paint

Cant see properly in the pics but if something is coming through then get down the crown shop and ask about stabilisers and stainblockers

Thanks to those who’ve offered helpful responses.
It was primed before painting. He fixed most of the bits we weren’t happy with with plaster, and a few bits with filler I think. Would this be part of the problem?
I didn’t think ceilings needed more than about 3 coats of paint?!
If he’s patch plastered over he’ll have used pva and it can take a good few coats of paint

Can't say for sure but it looks poorly painted. Make sure you are using a good quality paint, I bought some shocking paint from Wickes (£10 for 10 litres) a while ago and ended up putting about 6 coats on a ceiling.

It always amazes me how badly some customers paint.

It’s the plaster that is not flat
And you are getting shadowing from the natural light
It has nothing to do with the paint

To my eyes, it could just as easily be a half-arsed paint job to blame, but it's difficult to be sure, from those low-res pics. Those patches could be roller strokes with not enough paint (and not enough coats). Probably piss-thin contract mat, with very little solids content, and applied by someone with very little experience.

To my eyes, it could just as easily be a half-arsed paint job to blame, but it's difficult to be sure, from those low-res pics. Those patches could be roller strokes with not enough paint (and not enough coats). Probably piss-thin contract mat, with very little solids content, and applied by someone with very little experience.
Thanks. That’s what most people have said, but now am a bit concerned about the plaster being flat after the last comment. I did look smooth and flat before we applied a primer coat. I’ll try and take a few more pics and upload.

Correct! U can tell the cowboys on here I can hear there spurs coming through the saloon door with some of those replies!

Correct! U can tell the cowboys on here I can hear there spurs coming through the saloon door with some of those replies!

Not saying you're wrong, but I don't see how you can be so sure, as those pics are blurry when you zoom in. If they were pin-sharp, then it'd be a completely different conversation.

Fking blind man can see that's the plastering!

Because you were so certain about it, I just had another look, and I must admit, the first 2 pics do look more like inconsistent plaster than inconcistent paint (roller strokes would have straighter edges). Still can't make head nor tail of the last 2 pics. All the pics could've been better focused.

I still wouldn't bet my life on it, but I admit I can see your point, on second look.