Please help me from the torture of painting pebbledash

Members online

ADHiggs

Hi folks. I have a large area of pebbledash that needs to be painted (half brick/half pebbledash house). I know from experience that this is a truly horrible job to undertake as the surface is very textured with large pebbles. However, I have read a couple of online comments suggesting that the rough surface can be "softened" prior to painting by covering the pebbledash with a slurry coat. As I understand it this involves making some kind of render mix involving sharp sand, SBD and cement. Is this a good idea? If so, what is the mixing ratio and appropriate method of application? In fact any tips or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Hi folks. I have a large area of pebbledash that needs to be painted (half brick/half pebbledash house). I know from experience that this is a truly horrible job to undertake as the surface is very textured with large pebbles. However, I have read a couple of online comments suggesting that the rough surface can be "softened" prior to painting by covering the pebbledash with a slurry coat. As I understand it this involves making some kind of render mix involving sharp sand, SBD and cement. Is this a good idea? If so, what is the mixing ratio and appropriate method of application? In fact any tips or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thank you.
No you'll just make a mess.

Water down your first coat of paint or spray it. But if you're spraying, beware the breeze.

A London exterior finish firm have been decorating stone dash externals near my home.
they have a diesel plastering machine. they spray rend aid on the wall to keep all the stones tight. then they spray the paint on.

Some people never cease to amaze me,
Sand, cement, sbr, scaffolding, masking Windows masking drive, time effort, Casperised finish, imminent failure,
or £1500 for a decorator
Funny you should say that. I am originally a decorator by trade and have painted a few pebbledash houses over the years. It's a renovation project, so the scaffold is already up to replace all of the windows and there is a large amount of raw building materials on site too. However, on this property there are two slightly contrasting areas of dash (1920's and 1980's). I thought that consolidating the two by way of a coating of some sort would give a more uniform appearance once painted. I thought it seemed like a possible solution that was worth considering. Sorry to see you think otherwise.
Glad to see that I "amaze" you though.

How would doing all of that be quicker than just painting it though? It's like someone who's never plastered, not wanting to paint an artex ceiling as it'll take more effort than a flat one. So go and buy all the tools and research how to skim it to make the painting easier. Makes no sense

How would doing all of that be quicker than just painting it though? It's like someone who's never plastered, not wanting to paint an artex ceiling as it'll take more effort than a flat one. So go and buy all the tools and research how to skim it to make the painting easier. Makes no sense
I take your point. It wouldn't be quicker, I realise that. But as I mentioned above, half of the house was dashed in the 1920's and the other half was dashed when an extension was added in the 1980's. The two don't really match in terms of texture and as I am totally renovating the property for eventual re-sale I would prefer it to look uniform and with a softer looking finish. I know it can be done (see Malc's comment above) and was just curious about the method that's all.

Last edited: