plastering whole room - newb

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstrike

Hi Guys new to the forum. Do everything from Gaswork, joinery, building work.

I have for some reason never done plastering.

I'm in the middle of redoing a room for my father and he has asked me to attempt to plaster it, He thinks i'm very competent and good with my hands.

i'm on here because i don't want to do a piss poor job on my 1st attempt.

i have no fear on doing the job, due to it being my dads house.

i he has a 5m by 4m room, i don't know how much plaster will i need, but i bought 5 bags of 25KG thistle plaster.

i have bought a Marshall trowel, ( recommended by a friend ).

the problem i have is that the room has 2 brick walls that have lots of imperfections, which have previously been plastered 20+ years ago .

The question i'm asking is do i need a base quote, or as per research a PVA agent, also do i need different types of plaster for brick and plasterboard.

The room is half and half with both.

i would a appreciate all your help on this one.

Thank You

j strike

Welcome. You'll need roughly 8 bags of multi finish.

If the brick walls have deep imperfections, you'll need a base coat plaster such as bonding or hardwall to bring the hollows back to the level of the current plaster.

To prepare the surfaces, simply dilute 1 part PVA to 4 parts water and apply using a roller. Allow to dry and keep applying more coats until the PVA remains tacky for a good 10 minutes. You may find that 2 coats may be sufficient but on the old brick wall it may require 3 or 4. To make your life easier, you can use a bonding agent instead such as Wickes bonding agent or Thistle Bond-it. Only one coat is required and after 12-24 hours (depending on which agent you choose) the surfaces will be ready for skimming.

Good luck :)

would you put some pics on when you have finished the room.
That's cruel!! After reading the top bit you already know what the room will look like!
plastering is not something you can do just because your good with your hands.

That's cruel!! After reading the top bit you already know what the room will look like!
plastering is not something you can do just because your good with your hands.

the customer might want an artex finish............:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.