Plastering straight.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeadams1985

Private Member
Is it just common these days to just.skim over a wall regardless of the shape underneath?
How.many of you will bond out and get it straight first?
On a job today and it's a 23 ft long wall. Fitting cornice to.it and ive had to.pack.out of the wall.and of the ceiling in some.plaves as much as 3 inches just to get the cornice straight.
Honestly. Should have been done by 2 today as it was o my. 60 ft of cornice. But didn't finish till.4.30 no break and going back tommorrow to carry on.

All because of the state of the walls. Plasterer was only starting when I looked at the job.
The quality of there plastering work is absolutely shocking. Took some pics for you boys :) will upload them in a bit

If its a kitchen they'll only pay for it when the joiner is doing his but as it makes his life more difficult. Grinds.my gears this does!

If it was 3in out in places as you say, it would of took a lot more work than just a bit bonding to sort it out Mike. A lot of customers think you can just sort it with finish and when you explain why you cannot as said the because of costs involved most opt for smooth rather than flat plum walls.

At least you learned something today when pricing check the walls and ask what level of plastering finish they are going for before you give them your price. Although tbh i probably would of assumed if they were re-plastering, the walls would be flat ish and plumb ish.

Only if its getting tiled on a strait forward re skim no I follow the shape of existing unless I am asked to straiten it

Same as Jamie ,I will not do it for free.3mm price or float and set price, my own houses would be plumbed and squared,

Same as skim over it

if it's all over the place tell them skimming won't correct it to cover my arse and offer to bond/set.. Most say just skim it

9 times out of ten I usually go around all the angles walls and ceiling and wipe a bit of finish , upto bout 8/10 mm if needed and lose it to nothing to make it look good to the eye , but 3 inches is a completely different ball game.

Last edited:
3" out of alinement ,why did you accept the wall? i would have pointed the problem out to the client and gave them a quote to correct the wall.

Is it just common these days to just.skim over a wall regardless of the shape underneath?
How.many of you will bond out and get it straight first?
On a job today and it's a 23 ft long wall. Fitting cornice to.it and ive had to.pack.out of the wall.and of the ceiling in some.plaves as much as 3 inches just to get the cornice straight.
Honestly. Should have been done by 2 today as it was o my. 60 ft of cornice. But didn't finish till.4.30 no break and going back tommorrow to carry on.

All because of the state of the walls. Plasterer was only starting when I looked at the job.
The quality of there plastering work is absolutely shocking. Took some pics for you boys :) will upload them in a bit

M8 see some jobs especially plastering over artex you would need to bury the skirtings to straighten it what was the old saying it covers a multitude of sins

I'm just as bad for not checking when I price a job. I always give a price to re plaster and tell them it's extra if there is an obvious problem. But when looking at a room for eggs I don't get a straight edge or level out to see how the current plaster is

Sorry Mike but it's your own fault on this one mate, seeing as you know that it needs to be a dead straight wall. Surely you run your eye along the ceiling line to see what's required before you price it? If you don't, you can't expect an uneducated (trade-wise) customer to do so. :RpS_thumbup:

there would be a lot of work involved to get that wall straight and plumb,, the client would have had to be sitting down when told the difference in price or he/she would have have fallen down

Not many folk are willing to pay for a decent job sad but true nowdays, price is everything.

guilty of going for the skim only option myself at my folks house.long corridor wall about 25ft long 10ft high in a old victorian house. All painted up now and i cringe evertime i walk past it, looks terrible. they were over the moon but i'm ashamed of it. massive regret not dubbing out with bonding. yeah it takes a lot more than a few mms of skim to rectify an old wonky wall but 3inchs is another ball game.

Status
Not open for further replies.