Plastering small wall

Steve6766

Hi,

This is my first post here and just looking for some advice. I am currently working on my hallway and landing and after stripping paper I found that the plaster was coming away from the wall. I have decided to give this job a go myself and have removed all the plaster and the surface beneath appears to be blockwork. I have done a little research and from what I can gather it looks like the best way to approach this will be to use hardwall as a backing plaster and skim with multi finish. As this is my first time attempting plastering I have a few questions...

1.) Will hardwall and multi finish be the best products to use for this? I am going to be plastering level with the door frames to be able to fit new architrave.
2.) When applying the hardwall, can I just build up in one layer, set back about 3mm from door frames to leave room for multi finish.
3.) Do I need to use 2 coats of multi finish for this size wall or will 1 coat be sufficient.
4.) Will I need to use a feather edge for the backing plaster or could I get a flat finish with just a trowel as the wall is so small?
5.) There are some rather large gaps between the blockwork and door frames/ceiling. Will these need attention first or can they just be packed out with hardwall?

Any advice is much appreciated
Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• 20201004_160636[1].jpg
    20201004_160636[1].jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 286
  • 20201004_160623[1].jpg
    20201004_160623[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 279
  • 20201004_160615[1].jpg
    20201004_160615[1].jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 243
  • 20201004_160609[1].jpg
    20201004_160609[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 247
  • 20201004_160603[1].jpg
    20201004_160603[1].jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 248
Hi,

This is my first post here and just looking for some advice. I am currently working on my hallway and landing and after stripping paper I found that the plaster was coming away from the wall. I have decided to give this job a go myself and have removed all the plaster and the surface beneath appears to be blockwork. I have done a little research and from what I can gather it looks like the best way to approach this will be to use hardwall as a backing plaster and skim with multi finish. As this is my first time attempting plastering I have a few questions...

1.) Will hardwall and multi finish be the best products to use for this? I am going to be plastering level with the door frames to be able to fit new architrave.
2.) When applying the hardwall, can I just build up in one layer, set back about 3mm from door frames to leave room for multi finish.
3.) Do I need to use 2 coats of multi finish for this size wall or will 1 coat be sufficient.
4.) Will I need to use a feather edge for the backing plaster or could I get a flat finish with just a trowel as the wall is so small?
5.) There are some rather large gaps between the blockwork and door frames/ceiling. Will these need attention first or can they just be packed out with hardwall?

Thanks
Steve
@Casper

Hi,

Thanks
Steve
Best bet is to hardwall between the 2 frames, if the trowel is big enough to touch both frames at the same time then just run the hardwall up flush, if it's not get abit of wood or anything really that is big enough to level it off. wait half hour or an hour and take a small amount of hardwall back off so it's set back 2 or 3mm then skim over it.

You'll need to let the hardwall go firm before you apply the skim coat. You have a pretty small window to do this, as to wet and the multi will bubble, to dry and it will crack

Best bet is to hardwall between the 2 frames, if the trowel is big enough to touch both frames at the same time then just run the hardwall up flush, if it's not get abit of wood or anything really that is big enough to level it off. wait half hour or an hour and take a small amount of hardwall back off so it's set back 2 or 3mm then skim over it.

You'll need to let the hardwall go firm before you apply the skim coat. You have a pretty small window to do this, as to wet and the multi will bubble, to dry and it will crack
You never hear of PVA?

Thanks for this, its much appreciated. So when skimming will it require 2 coats or will 1 coat be sufficient?

Thanks for this, its much appreciated. So when skimming will it require 2 coats or will 1 coat be sufficient?
For such a small area and the fact it will probably dry pretty quick just mix enough plaster for 2 coats, get the first flatfish and then put a thin second coat over the top out of the same mix of plaster

For such a small area and the fact it will probably dry pretty quick just mix enough plaster for 2 coats, get the first flatfish and then put a thin second coat over the top out of the same mix of plaster

Perfect. Thanks very much