Plastering problem when trying to trowel up....

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
Just like to introduce myself I'm dan been plastering for 8 years but recently two of us was plastering on to plasterboard in a wooden cabin and the multi finish went all weird, and was very difficult to finish seemed to go dry quickly even through it was fresh skim brought the same day. When trying to level it in and fill in the hollows it was like was using a rusty trowel seemed to drag the skim and rough it up. Is using real cold water a problem? Real bamboozled here because when we mixed up the second hit seemed to do exactly the same and was able to trowel it up to get even a slight sheen. Luckily it was only a smallish area, but the problem is we're not sure what went wrong at all I mean the skim was only on the wall an hour and a half and already the second coat seem to be dry on the out side (could see dark patches which usually you only see when you start the next hit) but you could still trowel it it seemed softer underneath. Anyone else had any problems like this? would be great if you got any ideas.... the room was room temperature but was pretty cold outside. cheers all Dan

It could be any number of things, ( welcome along by the way bud) every now and then you can get a ropey batch of multi which is a little rough to rub up but a good spread just trowels his way through it

Yeah seemed to tare like it was too dry an you was using a dirty trowel not had it happen before, don't know if you use a skim speed but even straight after we laid it up the skim speed seemed to tare into it. You had a few problems recently then mate, you think its down to the multi finish?

Cheers oli seems a good forum, Yeah we got through it just a lot harder than it needed to be never really had a problem with multi finish before maybe was just a bad batch like you said.

I would normally give an irrelevant answer but i have had a similar problem the last few days. think it must be bg accelerating the multi a bit too much for the winter. i have been running around like a *******

Was in travis Perkins the other day watching water dripping onto the multi bags from the hole in the roof , obviously the merchants don't give two fooks about storage so this could be the answer

I have had problems lately but only from one merchants,pulled up one morning,slight drizzle and a pallet of multi was outside uncovered and no one was bothered:RpS_thumbdn:wontbe using them again

It's only happened to be once like that. The skim was brown before I 1st troweled for no reason. I took out the lines and put a 3rd coat on and it went ok. I put it down to a dodgy bag.

I've been plastering for 30 years,and yes this does happen from time to time.its not the multi finish, it's the surface for some reason it makes the plaster react in an annoying manner.to get over the issue I go over the plastered wall with a sponge float,let it set,then polish with a steel trowel and it won't tear.hope this helps you for the next time it happens,and be assured it will.

We had this kind of prob 3 years ago with board finish ( I don't use multi ) . It started going dark in places while it was still green which made it difficult to finish . I thought it was the water as it came from a spring but just turned out to be the batch after trying some from another merchant

i had this problem about a year ago. in one bag was a few red rubber pieces, about 50p size but thick and looked like a broken part. emailed bg and got a form asking for my company name etc. said i was just a sole trader and heard no more off them.

Status
Not open for further replies.