Plastering over wood chip

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilPlaster

Private Member
In response to a roofer that asked if he could plaster over wood chip in an ealier post.... Most said no, one or two said yes.
Ive seen a spread plaster over not just woodchip paper but paper thet was stuck on solid.
He rough coated it first and brushed it in to give a key then let it set. Next day pva'd then skimmed as normal and it worked! Seen him do it a couple of times on different jobs. I've never done it and i know its a big risk of it just fallin off but its worked. I know its not code of ethics n all but it has worked for him! :-\

If you rough over paper thern skim thats a different ball game to skimming straight over it.
Still not best practise to do so,but i have gone over small area and patching in over small areas of paper many times with no major problem apart form a few blisters.
Best to remove paper and charge customer accordingly !!!

i usually ask them if the want to pay my day rate for stripping the paper off first and 9 times out of 10 they ring bk and have takin it all off for ya and if they dnt u still get more work

sidewaysking156 said:
i usually ask them if the want to pay my day rate for stripping the paper off first and 9 times out of 10 they ring bk and have takin it all off for ya and if they dnt u still get more work

i offer them my labourer and my steamer for £50, weekend work for the lad ;)

Never ever ever plaster over any kind of paper.
Guys who do it are chancers, or work for the Council. :D

If you are going to go through the hassle of giving it a rough coat, then back the next day, then why not just strip it on the first day and hit it on the second? Then you KNOW it will be good.

Or do what i do and tell the customer that it needs to come off when you are pricing the job. If they want to pay you to do it then fine. 9 times out of ten they will do it themselves.

bloody hell thomas? have you been in jail for the last 18 months or so?
welcome back! ;D

I never offer to take the paper off. If it needs to come off I just say " That paper will need to come off" and leave it at that.
If they ask me to do it I just say I wont have time.

Thomas said:
Never ever ever plaster over any kind of paper.
Guys who do it are chancers, or work for the Council. :D

If you are going to go through the hassle of giving it a rough coat, then back the next day, then why not just strip it on the first day and hit it on the second? Then you KNOW it will be good.

Or do what i do and tell the customer that it needs to come off when you are pricing the job. If they want to pay you to do it then fine. 9 times out of ten they will do it themselves.

Seconded!

Every single word of that post is bang on advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.