Plastering over hot water radiator pipes

Members online

BlueRaa

Hi everyone,

Hope I can get some expert help and advice. Had a radiator fitted and the hot water pipes have been chased through the plaster.

The pipes have been covered in duck tape and pinned nicely to the brick. Very neat and tidy job.

I need to plaster over them and obviously the issue will be when the heating comes back on again in winter will the plaster crack?

Couple of problems: The plaster isnt very deep so putting foam lagging over them or even a piece of plasterboard isnt an option as it will come out from the wall, will not be flush.

I was going to wrap some celafelt around them aswell as the duck tape that was already on them then plaster over. Is this going to do the job? If so, what plaster should I use? Uploading some photos to show what I mean. And no, can't afford to have a whole new layer of plaster put over the whole wall to bring it further out to allow plasterboard or foam lagging on the pipes.

Thanks,

Andy

20200530_214611.jpg
20200530_214601.jpg
20200530_214551.jpg
20200530_214547.jpg

p.s. dont use anything cement based to fill the chase... cement hates copper...
people do put pipes in wall but its usually a stud wall or its been drylined...
still a bad idea... watched a sky installer go through one once and bartered him up to 350 quid to sort it for him :)

Now that the pipes are there I would pva the brick and plaster, when that is going off cut some fibre mesh to go over the chase. Use some bonding to fill in the chase then bury the mesh in the backing coat. Once that has set I would easi-fill over if you don’t want to skim the whole wall, even though the original plaster looks a bit rough!

I've seen copper pipe fixed either end in concrete floor. When heating was on the pipe buckle to hell but when it was cold it went back straight as a die again.
Really wanted sinking in deeper and in plastic sleeve or trunking. Then metal mesh over.
Fit plasterboard over the entire wall will work.
Or
Thin insulation used to tile over cut to fit chase and held with foam then mesh over and skim.

Hi everyone,

Hope I can get some expert help and advice. Had a radiator fitted and the hot water pipes have been chased through the plaster.

The pipes have been covered in duck tape and pinned nicely to the brick. Very neat and tidy job.

I need to plaster over them and obviously the issue will be when the heating comes back on again in winter will the plaster crack?

Couple of problems: The plaster isnt very deep so putting foam lagging over them or even a piece of plasterboard isnt an option as it will come out from the wall, will not be flush.

I was going to wrap some celafelt around them aswell as the duck tape that was already on them then plaster over. Is this going to do the job? If so, what plaster should I use? Uploading some photos to show what I mean. And no, can't afford to have a whole new layer of plaster put over the whole wall to bring it further out to allow plasterboard or foam lagging on the pipes.

Thanks,

Andy

View attachment 49777View attachment 49778View attachment 49779View attachment 49780
Bit of a stupid place to put them don’t you think.

I’ve chased in a few pipes in my house, but walls were back to brick. Used 6mm tile backer board fixed with tile adhesive and screws, then a thin scratch coat of tile adhesive over top of board before floating the whole wall out.

We had. A outty lime job recently where the pipes had been covered in metallic tape
Trouble was they were back to brick but that doesn't give lime anywhere to bond to....and no depth to it either

We ended up cutting chase out wider

Electrician had run his wires and left them unpinned and with not enough depth..(customer has to go around and set deeper and refix,boxes were loose and unlevel)

They both just did there job with no consideration for the next bloke...cnuts