Plastering over distemper!!!!!

Members online

1skimjim

Hi Guys , Hope your all well.
Any tips on plastering over distemper paints. Had a bit of a nightmare with it last week. The walls had distemper on them so I washed down the distemper applied a sandtex stablizer solution, Applied 2 coats of pva then multi finish... everything fine with walls.... The ceilings were artexed no bother pva , bonding , multi..... A week later after decorators had painted the ceilings they started to bubble and pop in places!!!!! I used a scraper to scrape of loose material....which was the whole ceiling.....to discover under the artex that I I plastered over was..... you guessed it ...... distemper paint.. Anyone else dealt with distemper and route did you got to treat .
Cheers

Any tips on plastering over distemper paints. Had a bit of a nightmare with it last week. The walls had distemper on them so I washed down the distemper applied a sandtex stablizer solution, Applied 2 coats of pva then multi finish... everything fine with walls.... The ceilings were artexed no bother pva , bonding , multi..... A week later after decorators had painted the ceilings they started to bubble and pop in places!!!!! I used a scraper to scrape of loose material....which was the whole ceiling.....to discover under the artex that I I plastered over was..... you guessed it ...... distemper paint.. Anyone else dealt with distemper and route did you got to treat .
Cheers
Overboard, easiest way ive found with that s**t..

Cheers
Or just keep washing it down till when its dry, and you put your finger over it, and the chalk dust gone, then ready to prime up...nightmare to do...

He said they were walls you morons!
Use a quility grit like betakontakt or microgobetis... it will penetrate and bind the distemper but leave it dry thoroughly then skim.
Distemper was under the artex

I've read it twice lol

I've got dustless sanding system but you can buy cheap 235mm giraffe sander and hook up to vacuum. With 80 grade mesh I sand as much off as possible then gardz sealer or beeline sealer as that's what I was use as cheap. It's a pva emulsion but don't go tacky. When dry plastering pva and skim.

I've got festool kit but for most a 30lt vac like the titan (£69) or argos guild (£80) both with power takeoff work great.
Use both bag and cartage filter as the dust ain't good to maximise dust capture.
Mirka mesh 80g on cheap giraffe sander £120 ish...

I also built a DIY cyclone (£20 ish) that catches over 80% of the dust keeping vac bag clear and will maximise the suction and vac don't overheat. Only takes half hour to sand good enough and I can seal. I get fan on (or air mover as been looking at them) and give it an hour, pva and skim.
Overboard is probably the way to go but in domestics or where there is coving sand the chalky older paint off and get on and skim no problems I find. Done loads. I've also over boarded many. Just have to make that call on what's best.. Worst ones are where modern emulsion has to be scraped off first, done that last week then sanded, sealed and skimmed