Plastering over Artex

Members online

jgg001

Hi All,

My father has done quite a bit of plastering over the years and he is quite good at it. He has agreed to come to our place to do plaster our Artex ceiling in the living room, but he has never had to work on Artex so I thought I would get advice here on the methodology and products to use. We recently did an asbestos test and we have asbestos in our Artex ceilings, so we cannot remove the 'peaks' of the Artex. The type of Artex in our living room is like swirls/circles.
I have read a few things online but I am not entirely sure whether PVA is really needed or not. Could you please explain the process to plaster over Artex and which materials and brands you use?

Thanks a lot in advance to anyone willing to help me out on this.
Cheers,
Javi

Use grit if. It’s a living room ceiling you can mix bonding and skim together to fill out over the high peaks etc then skim it
What do you mean by using grit? Could you detail the brands of materials and proportions, please?

what do you mean ceiling not to high?
do you live in a wendy house?
200.gif

Could you specify the brand of PVA that you use? Also, would you recommend using Thistle MultiFinish Plaster after applying PVA?
Evostick or uni bond pva. Diluted down. 2 coats of multi over the top.. (add a few handfuls of bonding to 1st coat if the pattern is deep). Multi finish is fine.

Evostick or uni bond pva. Diluted down. 2 coats of multi over the top.. (add a few handfuls of bonding to 1st coat if the pattern is deep). Multi finish is fine.
Thank you for your explanation! I'm planning on buying Thistle Bonding Coat Undercoat Plaster for the first coat, but I'm not sure whether I am supposed to mix this product with standard plaster or is this product ready to use for the first coat. I guess I would then just use Multi finish for the second coat. I look forward to your comments on this. Thanks again!

Thank you for your explanation! I'm planning on buying Thistle Bonding Coat Undercoat Plaster for the first coat, but I'm not sure whether I am supposed to mix this product with standard plaster or is this product ready to use for the first coat. I guess I would then just use Multi finish for the second coat. I look forward to your comments on this. Thanks again!
ffs first rule in plastering...don't over-complicate it.... just overboard it and be done with it....you wont even notice and extra half inch or so on 2.35m ceiling

If you bond it out, you’ll still need 2 coats of finish. You’d be better to over board it and skim as already mentioned.

Or foam it :coffe: