Plastering onto Tile

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowen70

Another day another question. No flame wars this time hopefully :RpS_w00t:

So I was talking to a friend of a friend today and he asked me if I could do his Bathroom and living room, of course I directed him to contact a fully trained plasterer rather than myself (mentioned CT Plastering fyi if you get a phone call)

But one of the questions was plastering over Tiles. I said well just rip them down, its no big job and the wall behind is easy sorted then skim over the top. He was very insistent on just wanting the tiles covered over in plaster. So I immediately thought there is going to be a real suction problem there, a lack of it. I guess you could bond over it and attempt to get a decent grip on the wall then finish over it.

But I've just got a feeling it would be a bad job and the customer would need persuaded to get the tiles off the wall.

Am I off the mark here?

Google plastering over tiles

OK I just did that, mixed bag some saying you can some saying you can't. I figured on here at least you get an answer off a plasterer instead of some builder/roofer that can throw plaster at a wall or a 5 day course merchant.

if he isn't happy the way you want t do it walk away its your name that gets dragged through the mud when it starts dropping off always another job round the corner

Iv done it once blue gritted day before left to dry n skimmed as normal was sceptical but havnt heard owt back. Did hang for ages tho

As others have said blue grit say you can do this with their product,I would be much happier ripping them off and starting again though.

blue grit is the way I would go.... but I would not want to do it like that... tiles off is in my opinion the right thing to do....

I skimmed over the tiles in my bathroom 4 years ago.
Its still on the wall and wasnt a problem to do.

How long would it take to hack tiles off ? :confused:

He said it would be a ******* because it was all tiny tiles. Still sounds better to me than going over it like. I am surprised someone would be happy with that, I wouldn't be.

Maybe he is a cheap git.

can you.. should you.. same thing mate... if tiles are fixed securely, nowt wrong with skimming them...

If i hadnt of attempted to take off the tiles i would not have realized that my shower trap was not attached to the waste :-\ It was just hovering over it :-\ Concrete floor has been getting a soaking for years...

Status
Not open for further replies.