plastering in canada

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyb

anyone know what the story is with plastering in canada,there looking for spreads but looks like its all dry wall over there,any skimming

no skimming...I have done it one time in 27 years here and that was an adobe style interior I did ....interior is mostly drywall...in the east ( ontario ) there is some heritage type work ...also down the eastern seaboard of the US they still do a version of skimming.....but mostly drywall

any interior work I get is high end venetian plasters....on drywall

you would mostly be working exterior stucco ...and the products that you may be used to are not here...it is mostly EIFS and scratch and brown with acrylic finish....in the last 5 years we have been inundated with Irish plasterers...( a good thing ) but there are tonnes of them....other then that behind them are the polish ,and then east I****n....the trade here is screwed for the long term...none of the labor is actually qualified.....nor do they actually know what they are doing...they just go through the motions ...it looks pretty and they get paid.....we fix it 10 years later and everyone is pissed at the "stucco guy "

In 1985 when I came here I was regarded as highly qualified ....and made $25 per hour which was fantastic coin at the time

a beer was $2.50
pack of smokes $2.50
fuel/petrol .39 cents a litre

today that beer is $5.50....upwards of $10 in a nightclub
the smokes are $11.00
and the fuel is $1.44 /litre

the wage for a top earner today is $30-$35/hour,with every 10 onsite ,there is one of these top earners

the majority are making $18-$23 /hour...if there good....and the rest about $13-15

All too often "apprenticeships " are offered....they are not apprenticeships....they are a means to cheap labor....the apprenticship never gets finished and the "apprentice" starts his own company,and so the ball keeps rolling

The government started a drywall training program,they kick "qualified " drywallers out the door in 6 months,they drove the wage down...they made an absoulute killing in the late 70's to late 80's.....now it is inline with the "stucco guys wage"

ya ya its doomsday.....find another cuntry

cheers good to hear whats actually happening over there,hear so many big money stories from canada at the moment,spread i was working with has headed out to edmonton and he reckoned he'd be on equivalent of 1200euro,tempting but does that sound right,couldn't be worse than here at the moment

cheers good to hear whats actually happening over there,hear so many big money stories from canada at the moment,spread i was working with has headed out to edmonton and he reckoned he'd be on equivalent of 1200euro,tempting but does that sound right,couldn't be worse than here at the moment

is that per week / month?

1200 euro = 1510.24 CDN,
if per week which it probably is...... is that for 40 hours? and is it before or after tax?

at 40 hours that is $37.?? /hour
is that with holiday pay?

My guess, it is non taxed,includes holiday pay,and is for saturdays as well...so 47.5 hours per week.......now deduct 30% of that for source deductions...and he is making $4000 dollars /month net ...might be ok if your just passing through....but you would never make a life here on that kinda money...unless of course there are 10 of you in a 3 bedroom house....

Add to all of that ...it is going to feeze its ass off here shortly...it then becomes "survival of the fitest" LOL

The Turks are in Edmonton big time....an average EIFS job goes for approx $12.00 per foot....the turks do it for $6-7 per foot....no one can figure out how

ive got experience in iceland...

sausage rolls, cheesecake, platters they do it all its bloody marvellous:RpS_wink:

I spoke to a guy on here a few years back and was offered some work in Canada, his family offered to put me and bird up for a few months. As said it was all external and I was a bit put off with the winter climate over there.

Iv looked into various countries

Holland (Europe) seems to be a lot of agencies trying to get British tradesmen over and then scamming them, so I heard. Plus the recession has hit Europe pretty hard.

NZ is all tape and joint using a company call Gib (I think) for everything, absolutely no internal skimming or roughing, there are a lot of Chinese out there working 14-16 hour days and doing a decent job so they are driving the price down slightly. Be looking at earning between $200 - $350 nzd per day which is about £125 on price, hourly rate is $18 - $25 per hour, it's very expensive to live out there.

Rendering out there I didn't look into, too much. But I think there is a small market for good renderers, I'm not sure if they have all the new systems and methods out
their.

Oz is pretty much the same I think but a lot more rendering, GIb are massive down there, but a lot of British tradesmen are struggling and the cost of living is very, very expensive

I live in oz now and got out of plastering as its all tape/joint which I think is shite, rendering is massive and thin coat render systems, I fancied a change. It's expensive out here. $7-9 a beer, I pay $600 pw rent for a 1 bed flat, food shop is $150-180 pw, second hand cars are ridiculously priced, **** box for about $2k. Even though its expensive is a great place to live, good weather etc. On the plastering side I think hourly rate is about $25-35pw if your on for a firm.

Yeah kiting I was going to put that about the cars, vans. It's the same in nz. Looking at about 3000 nzd for something that's 15 years old, the reason is they don't rust,as their is not grit or salt on the roads, so I heard.

I was told its more expensive to live than nz but the wages are better slightly. If you like a beer and smoke though they don't half make you pay for it. I think a crate of 18 Becks was 35 nzd which is nearly £20.

Sounds like everywhere is fcked then..
Thought about Orkney as the recession seams to have passed over there (talking to a sparky). Trouble is decorators do all the boarding and taping, there is no skim as it costs too much to transport and all the render is dashed as the local sand is terrible.
Now I love rendering but doubt I'd want to do it day in day out in their weather.

You can earn a few quid here if you look about and put some serious effort in, and you can always go home for dinner if you wan't!

I'm in Toronto as a plasterer, been here 6 months. Have to bite my lip when they guys say how much better taping is. Hard skill to pick up as a reluctant skimmer. BUT now I've got the hang of it the money's getting better and the hours are endless. Boss turns down a lot of work.

Well I was in Vancouver for about. 8 months. And I was on $ 30 phr worked 7 till 5 in week and 7 till 1 sat days. And I had more than enough money. And wasn't reall doing long hours.

worked 7 til 5 and not really doing long hours?
its only ten hours aday. It's hardly pulling an all nighter. Up until a couple years ago wen work went quiet my trowel was hitting the wall for no later than 6:15 and I wdnt consider leaving site b4 6 and wen we was away in digs normally about 8 Finnish. So wen I went there it was a walk in the park and nower days I'm sat at home bored to fck starting at 8 and finishing at half 4. Ha think I need a hobby

its only ten hours aday. It's hardly pulling an all nighter. Up until a couple years ago wen work went quiet my trowel was hitting the wall for no later than 6:15 and I wdnt consider leaving site b4 6 and wen we was away in digs normally about 8 Finnish. So wen I went there it was a walk in the park and nower days I'm sat at home bored to fck starting at 8 and finishing at half 4. Ha think I need a hobby
Fair play lol

hi guys, iv applied for a working visa for Canada, and im at the stage of looking for work, thinking about going over to find work as my wife must apply for 20 jobs a week and have no come back. what is the best way around finding work in Canada, im moving my whole family over wife, 3 kids and my dog, living in rented accommodation in the UK as iv sold my house. were at the stage of finding my sponsor, struggling to know the best way around the next step, any one got some advice, i have 22 years experience, had my own business but the credit crunch ruined that, ive got work here but want to escape england, having to do a full house a week to make it pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.