Plastering bison beam ceiling

Members online

CraigC.A.P

Hey guys, I'm Craig I'm a plasterer in Cardiff. I'm looking for advice from some fellow plasterers on my next job, customer has a garage with a bison beam ceiling/floor to room above. They do not want to batton and board as to save as much head height as possible, my question is if you had this job what scenario would you use,
1. Scrape and clean ceiling, paint with pva, bond and skim.
2. Scrape and clean, paint with primer grit, bond and skim
3. Fit EML, bond and skim.

My feeling is that the beams will have enough suction that undercoat plaster will adhere to it but there is always the 50/50 risk of an area failing. Any advice or knowledge from someone who has experienced a similar situation would be great.

Thanks
Craig

Hey guys, I'm Craig I'm a plasterer in Cardiff. I'm looking for advice from some fellow plasterers on my next job, customer has a garage with a bison beam ceiling/floor to room above. They do not want to batton and board as to save as much head height as possible, my question is if you had this job what scenario would you use,

My feeling is that the beams will have enough suction that undercoat plaster will adhere to it but there is always the 50/50 risk of an area failing. Any advice or knowledge from someone who has experienced a similar situation would be great.

Thanks
Craig
There's a recess between the beams that the blocks sit on , if I understand you , fit hangers for batten and board

Thanks
Craig
Nice question

It would be a right old thickness. If I remember right from bottom of beam to the block is minimum 25mm. In the past I've done 2 houses with block and beam floors to the first floor and, both of them were all fitted with galvanised clip/ hangers and 2x2 was fitted to the hangers and then, the ceilings boarded and skimmed.
If you start fitting rib lathe or EML you run the risk of hitting re bar and then you risk weakening the beam.

Thought he didn't want to loose depth so use z ( 90° angled ) and batten flush in recess
As they say in America tough s**t
Your talking 60mm max loss of height it would have to be pretty low to start with for that to make an impact.

Thanks
Craig

scrape back any lumps
pva and skim it the next day