Plastering a Chimney Breast for Range Cooker

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzi

Hi

We are putting a range cooker in the chimney breast. At the moment it is bare brick. We want to plasterboard the inside and increase the chimney breast depth by 15cm to accommodate the cooker. I have a few questions;

1) Do we need to use fire resistant plaster board, if so do we need to use for it for all the internal walls i.e. sides and ceiling of the exposed chimney?
2) As mentioned the chimney breast needs to be extended outwards to account for a range cooker by approximately 15cm, can you use wood to create the studding for the new fascia or does this has to be metal?
3) Can normal plasterboard be used on the fascia of the chimney breast i.e. over the new studding or does this also have to be fire resistant plaster board?
4) When skimming over the plaster board, can normal plaster be used or do you need a special fire retardant one?

I would appreciate any help

Thank you

build the front out with brick, render with sand and cement then skim, the inside mix more lime in with mix and rub up to a smooth finish.

as its only a cooker and not a woodburner timber studs will be fine. you don't really need to use fireline plasterboard but if you want to you can. just normal multi finish or board finish will be fine. fireline board is only required when it is either structual. under the stairs or a garage ceiling where there are living quarters above.

if you want to skim the inside play it safe with victas plaster its designed to take high temperatures

just re read this and i thought it was for a aga cooker so scrub what i said

We've got a Rayburn (Aga) cooker/boiler and the heat that comes off them isn't anything like a fierce as a log burner, we've even got an old wooden church pew only about 50mm from it's side without any problem.

fair enough only reason i was thinking different to you andy is years and years ago did a kitchen with multi as standard and then they had an aga fitted got a call a few weeks after and all the multi had shelled off.......BUUUUT saying that how many people out there have seen things happen and others havent had it happen to them so its swings and roundabouts. example that thread about skimming day old render we all said it will fail and we have seen it fail he said no it wnt and in 25 years hes never had it fail:RpS_confused::RpS_thumbup:

Stud, board and skim.
Why do anything differrent?
Range cookers are just a bigger cooker than normal, they fit tight to the kitchen cabinets in most kitchens with no problems.

fair enough only reason i was thinking different to you andy is years and years ago did a kitchen with multi as standard and then they had an aga fitted got a call a few weeks after and all the multi had shelled off.......BUUUUT saying that how many people out there have seen things happen and others havent had it happen to them so its swings and roundabouts. example that thread about skimming day old render we all said it will fail and we have seen it fail he said no it wnt and in 25 years hes never had it fail:RpS_confused::RpS_thumbup:

Had you let the S&C cure?:RpS_wink:

haha yes andy.........skim it same day yeah??:RpS_wink:
ive never had a problem with victas i mean it is shite and sticky but it does trowel up nicley but you have to get it absolutely bob on 100% cos it sets rock hard

Status
Not open for further replies.