plastering a ceiling but dont understand why it keeps going off?????

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddy82

hey guys don't if anyone come across this but I been doing a ceiling in a dining room 12x12 small I no but what I don't understand is when I go back to lay in its gone off and you cant bring it back...... I pva'd it again and tried again still the same???:RpS_cursing: I then used 1 coat cause off the setting time and had my brother on it aswell on a small ceiling like this and it really pissed me off cause we only just managed to fight it and get it down.. does any one no if there is any thing to put on first cause I got two more ceilings to do there???

also looking in the loft it was thick with insulation and I think that was the reason for drawing it in.
In 10 years off spreading iv never had this and done a ceiling today so im not getting slower which was my main concern!!!

any suggestions please?

yeh your right it is a laugh but believe me iv never had nothing like it and don't understand y its goin off its a pissy ceiling and was asking if anyone has come across the same problem

ask @marshall his plasters always goin off on tiny areas before he can do anything, hes getting good at it goin off too quick now:RpS_thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked for the piss take really but you have to see it to believe it like I said I done a ceiling today and its certainly not me getting slower!!! the only thing I can put it down to is 3 foot of insulation sat on top of it.

why the fuk would insulation in the loft suck moisture out off the ceiling? was it new board or artex or what

You looked in the loft and it was thick with insulation. You then came to the conclusion that this was the cause of the problem? Have you not noticed that all lofts are insulated?

obviously not been plastering for 10 years if this is the conclusion you have come to:RpS_unsure:

hey guys don't if anyone come across this but I been doing a ceiling in a dining room 12x12 small I no but what I don't understand is when I go back to lay in its gone off and you cant bring it back...... I pva'd it again and tried again still the same???:RpS_cursing: I then used 1 coat cause off the setting time and had my brother on it aswell on a small ceiling like this and it really pissed me off cause we only just managed to fight it and get it down.. does any one no if there is any thing to put on first cause I got two more ceilings to do there???

also looking in the loft it was thick with insulation and I think that was the reason for drawing it in.
In 10 years off spreading iv never had this and done a ceiling today so im not getting slower which was my main concern!!!

any suggestions please?

Blimey, by the time you & your bro had split the money from a 12x12 reskim, it must have been as worthwhile as Earth, Wind & Fire splitting the proceeds of a gig.

It happened to me a couple of months ago i had to put three coats on just to keep it workable but i have no idea why but the whole bungalow was the same.

You looked in the loft and it was thick with insulation. You then came to the conclusion that this was the cause of the problem? Have you not noticed that all lofts are insulated?

Fckin hell did detect a bit of sarcasm there Minh!! Fck me he has a sense of humour:RpS_thumbsup:

I asked for the piss take really but you have to see it to believe it like I said I done a ceiling today and its certainly not me getting slower!!! the only thing I can put it down to is 3 foot of insulation sat on top of it.

Ive heard opening the windows and using the same mix for doubling up works a treat doesn't it @marshall :rolleyes)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi paddy
As you can see there's alot of sad **** on here that think there the nuts because they've achieved f all in life and like to take there frustration out on other spreads that have had issues , like they've never had any . It's because you've got work and there sat watching the kids and Jeremy Kyle , watch which one remark there the guys sat there wishing there at work .

Ive been plastering 15 years all over Britain and have had 14 men on the books at times , i work on every type of commercial , domestic and mod work ,my advise regarding your ceiling is that the plaster could be old/out of date or near date or/ and the boards have been on some time, also look at the water is it contaminated ?

I hope this help mate and luck, if you need anything else let me know .

lets see who been watching mr Kyle ??!

'regards Lee

:RpS_thumbsup:
any suggestions please?

Got the smallest patch repair to do in the morning will swop you a bag

Hi paddy
As you can see there's alot of sad **** on here that think there the nuts because they've achieved f all in life and like to take there frustration out on other spreads that have had issues , like they've never had any . It's because you've got work and there sat watching the kids and Jeremy Kyle , watch which one remark there the guys sat there wishing there at work .

Ive been plastering 15 years all over Britain and have had 14 men on the books at times , i work on every type of commercial , domestic and mod work ,my advise regarding your ceiling is that the plaster could be old/out of date or near date or/ and the boards have been on some time, also look at the water is it contaminated ?

'regards Lee

Cant beat a bit of Jezza lee!!

lighten up mate!!

10 years is a long time I would hope he has already surpassed that assumption :RpS_thumbup:

they aren't all bad lee

Hi paddy

'regards Lee
Do you mind ,i like to watch the wright stuff unlike Paddy82 who aint using the right stuff. 10 years in the trade and cant read the date on the side of a bag . BASICS.

Yer I know , the idea of this site is to inform and help our fellow tradesman , it's a difficult time out there for alot of these guys, I'm receiving call, texts and emails all day from very good spreads that are struggling .

lets all pull together get the prices back up and drop the big I am and your not chat . We are all plastering to feed out family's and live life , it's a true trade in fact the last one all the others are highly aided by technology .

cheers Lee

I'll think twice before I ask anyone on this forum for advice in future.
it doesn't matter if you have been in the trade for 10 years or you are a newbie, when you ask questions you want answers, not to have the piss taken out of you by some cocky moron.

any suggestions please?
its called suction control mate just sounds like you did not apply enough coats of PVa to control the suction nothing to do with loft insulation or out of date plaster

theres thread somewhere on here about roll:RpS_thumbup:ing set

I had the same thing last week reskimming over very old plaster just needs more unibond mate maybe 2 pissy ones then on thicker one and get it on quick

Plenty of giants and I have a million spreads on the books ,we thank them for feeding us all.

Last edited:
Ok so I would go along the route of out of date or knackered plaster followed by a suction issue...

Maybe the next time you reskim it you use a bonding agent instead of PVA or overboard it :)

We have had a few people on here in the past post up wind up threads and this did feel like one... but still none the less a question is a question :)

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.