Plasterer messed up my kitchen,need advice

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonnahaveago

Hi guys,

New to the forum...I had a plasterer come and skim my kitchen as i wanted to paint the walls rather than have wall paper.

The ceiling was already done by someone else which is spot on.

Rang round to get a couple of quotes and one fella said he would do it but he never turned up so i managed to get someone else in.

The kitchen is quite small and the walls only needed a quick skim so i could paint it once it had all dried out.

Well the guy came in the morning and he took all day to do just the walls...Now my problem was that i had to go out and leave our lass to pay the guy,well when i came back i looked at the job he had done and to be honest it was better before he touched it :mad: cannot paint these walls as the flaws he has created will show through.

My question is i am gonna re skim over his mess even though i have never plastered before ( i know you guys will say leave it to the pro's) but i'd rather give it ago as i know i cannot make a worse job than he did.

My question to you is this ,it is only a week old since it was plastered ,do i need to pva over his plaster for a better key before i go over it.Sorry but i am not gonna ask him back to do it again..I am not bad with diy but i know this is not some think that should be took lightly but i am gonna have a go..Any advice appreciated :)

God it must be bad if your going to attempt this yourself.Yes you will need to pva 1st.To be honest your better of painting it 1st, then going for a seal , glu and skim .
If your needing to ask these questions i have feeling your going to bite of more than you can chew.
What area are you from, you would be better off getting someone from here to give you a propper job.

Good luck.

Hi and thanks for the quick reply...I only asked the pva question as i was not sure if it could help to seal any moister in the newly plastered walls ( just thought the walls might need drying more before doing it )

Never done it but am willing to try ,if it looks crap then i will just scrape the (german word) er off :)

Well pissed off to be honest.

why didnt you get the guy to do it that did the ceiling?
and the comment about it just needing a quick skim and he took ALL DAY to do just the walls has shown you have probably gone for the cheapest quote as you assumed it was a quick job, but you get what you pay for im affraid.
if you have never plastered before i would leave it well alone as you will end up spending more money on powder and pva, beads etc and then need to get someone to come in and do it all again.

Have you called the plasterer that did it?

To be honest I thiknk you would be better off calling a spread from here and then it will save you a lot of grief.

Kitchens are never easy at the best of times.... fecking sockets and pipes.. god I hate it!!

Good luck though

Danny

dont try it yourself mate u will make a right mess, might end up costing you more to put it right. put it down to experience get a plasterer and stick with him.
99% of plasterers turn up and do the job if its a good job thats another question.

ring the guy who did it ask him to come back and sort it out be polite just explain that your not happy with the finish, if he does come back keep an eye on him tell him what you expect for your money.

going over fresh plaster is a ball ache for most spreads, so i wouldn't even bother trying

Also.an important thing worth mentioning.You cant just keep skimming over and re -skimming over plaster.
This will be at least the 3rd skim over after youve had ago and if its a older house more than likely the 4th or 5 th time al youl be doing is putting more weight on poor walls ur heading for trouble else.
The best bet mate is to line with wallrock paper.
Its like lining paper but a lot stronger and easieer to put up.Now its not cheap at £10 a roll but even and idiot could put this up with no f u c k ups .DONT ATTEMPT PLASTERING!!!!

This wallrock will cover all cracks 100% and paintable in 6hrs youl get from any good professional decorating/paint shop)

lol guilty confession no just some rang me last week and said they want there kitchen skimmed smooth just a quick job and dnt wanna pay alot. they never rang back when they said they was ganna arrange a time 2 come look

how about a picture op?
overskimming takes 2 - 3 hours per set, if hes done 2 walls per set thats 6 hours, include setting up time and cleaning down and theres your days work... theres no such thing as a 'quick skim' it sounds like youre under the impression you just spread some muck on the wall, spread it flat immediatley and on to the next bit... ???
if this is true dont attempt to 'have a go' because youll end up in a right mess...
if the bloke who did the job has left it in such a poor state that should be enough for you to get someone professional in, definately not your cue to try it yourself, surely that just proves its not as easy as it looks?

the amount of times ive heard 'oh it only needs a quick skim over' from customers who havent got the slightest idea about plastering breaks my heart... :'(

i got a call a few weeks ago from a guy he said i just stripped wallpaper off and the wall need reskimming as there in poor condition can you gice me a price over the phone.Toldhim i need to see it to give accurate price,i turns up the next day to have alook and half the lathe plaster stud wall was on the floor and it needs 3 bags of bonding on other walls to patch up.He was lucky the ceiling didnt collapse on his head while stripping the paper off it was that bad.
i gave him a price of £600 to board ceiling stud wall patch up and reskim and paint it white.
He said it was to much and he'l have a go himself to save money !!!!!!!!
Just waiting for the phone call anyday now about an hour after he starts it the t w a t

Sorry guys for not replying sooner,let me just put this in the right context..

The guy who did the ceiling was from a company who's name i will not say on an open forum,who did the job for the housing association ( it's not my flat) the housing paid him..i asked if he would come and do the walls as they were not that great once we stripped wall paper off ..When i say not great i mean for painting over instead of wall paper ( we did not want paper as we wanted to paint them).

Now the housing would not pay for the walls to be plastered as they thought they were fine (no crumbling plaster or owt like that )

So the guy who did ceiling said he would do the job at the weekend and we would pay him ..now the kitchen is about 15 ft long by 7ft wide (not that big as you can guess)... There is only one wall which is big with nothing in the way (this is the back wall ) walls are not big at all,so theres a back wall the wall over the sink which is less than half a wall as it is tiled so for up and the 2 other walls are really small one of them has the window in which takes up most of the wall .. I asked a quote and he said about £120 inc materials as the walls just needed a light skim just so we could paint them ..We moved fridge freezer out for him so there was nothing in his way at all ..well our lass waited in all day and he never showed :mad: so she was not happy ..She rang him and answer machine came on which then annoyed our lass even more as all he had to do was to say summat had cropped up and we would have just arranged another day..He did the ceiling spot on,so no complaints there.

Because he did not show we got someone else in ,and well the rest is history...Now before any of you say we went the cheap option then you are wrong..it was both plasterers that gave us the quotes and we were happy as the kitchen is not very big as already mentioned ,and i am sure one of you guys would p!ss doing it .No real problems with corners as there is only 1 window there ..nothing to work around..

I wish i just sanded the bloody walls a bit and painted them as they were not to bad but we thought a skim would make them look even better for painting.

And the reason i am up late is i have just finished nites and my sleeping pattern ain't right yetlol.

Now like i say any of you who think that the job was too cheap then i would disagree with you as there was not much work involved for the size.

I live up in lancs.

If the first guy had turned up it would have looked great that i am sure..He quoted the price not me at the time .

p.s how come the times on this forum are wrong? i posted this at 12.58 lol

Alright mate , if i was you and you feel you want to try it why dont you try plastering the smallest wall in your kitchen and if that turns out ok then do the rest, if not fill all the faults and sand. to reskim, score your wall first with stanly knife to give a key, pva 3:1,then 2 coats of multi. good luck lad.

reali should just fill the wall with a 2 part powder filler Never ever the ready mix one fill crap lol

Thanks guys to those not trying to take the p!ss :)

I am gonna have a go myself (i am confident enough to try lol) I tiled all my bathroom and floor myself when others advised me not to ,and it came out really well for a first timer.

The reason i was gonna re skim the walls especially over the sink is that when the guy skimmed it he put it on too thinly and you can see the old wall in places..So now you can see what a sh!te job he did ! I'm thinking of scoring the wall then pva it then skim it ...After it has all dried out is it better to pva again before painting..And roughly how long before painting it ?

Thanks alot fellas for those who have given good advise. ;D

can u please take some before and affter photo? dnt pva before paint.. just either PVA 2-3 times or paint with 50%water mix then pva like some1 said

Cheers guys,

Will just score existing plaster then pva and then skim...will not pva before paint..will probably use a watered down paint for first coat if that's ok..If i can get a good pic then i will post a before and after shots but only have camera on my phone ..so will try me best ;D

when you take these pics mate, stand in the corner of the wall and aim your camera down the wall, taken just as it sets i.e dark brown..
dont stand directly in front of it cos even my missus could plaster a wall and it'd look good at that angle.. ;)

kebab king said:
bodplasterer said:
Kebab king replied at 3am is there such a time ;D

Had a dream about Bankok Chick boys, just had to get up and surf the puter to find some.
When we was out on a night out in Bangkok , bumped into some loverly girls all wantin there photo's taken , so my missus plonks me in with em and snap's away like a looney , then on the way back to hotel she tells me they were
fellas ??? was too pisssedd to care any way :D :D

you do no that you should put 2 coats on when skimming and if you use a trowel that is not worn in your work will tear to bits when it starts to dry.so be warned.why dont you artex it i,ve heard its on its way back,a nice bark roll.:)

terry said:
you do no that you should put 2 coats on when skimming and if you use a trowel that is not worn in your work will tear to bits when it starts to dry.so be warned.why dont you artex it i,ve heard its on its way back,a nice bark roll.:)
So that means that any plasterer who has a new trowel will never be able to plaster untill his trowel is worn..well i'll give it a fair few whisks on the ol concrete then :D

no mate we wear em in on backing coats ........he's not joking mind to get a half decent finish you need a decent worn in trowel :)

Status
Not open for further replies.